We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ENP- New day program

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
ENP- New day program

Hi everyone,

Planning on returning to Elephant Nature Park this year and particularly interested in the new day program where they only take 6 people and includes a jungle walk etc.

I see it is very expensive, and I don't mind spending the money for this experience, however I would like to have some feedback from anyone who has already done this day. Just wanting to know that it does include all it says it will. Have been to ENP before, so familiar with what they stand for. I have checked the forum, but can' t locate any feedback, probably because this is a very new program. If someone has recently been and could let me know how it went, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for your help. MCG

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ENP- New day program

We'll be watching this one with interest, too. I was aware that they had negotiated with a local elephant riding camp to give up the rides and turn it into something new. We have been twice for day trips to ENP and would do this next time rather than the full day of hanging around the park, which is good for photos but can get a trifle boring.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ENP- New day program

Hi Spopey,

You are right, it does get a little boring, especially if you have been more than once.

I am about to book this program so will let you know how it goes.

MCG

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ENP- New day program

Pamper a pachyderm does look great.

If you look through some of the otger elephant related posts in the forums I think there are a couple of people that have done and greatly enjoyed.

For those that have been to ENP a couple of times on day trips, how about considering an overnight stay? You get more elephant time, enjoy the massage ladies and great food, and you could also volunteer to join in some of the volunteer jobs! (Washing ele veges, shovelling ele poo)...

Also, on a different note, have you heard of Elephant Parade in Chiang Mai City? They're facilitators of an arts project where they have large painted elephant exhibits around the world. At their CM base you can buy replicas, or even paint your own from scratch (awesome), in their air con studios, with snacks provided! Proceeds go to supporting elephant organisations.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ENP- New day program

Thanks for the info pineapple sensei, and I will certainly have another look at the forum.

I did do a quick check, but must have overlooked the relevant post.

Sounds like a fun day to be had painting elephants, will put that on our list.

Thanks again. MCG

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ENP- New day program

Does the ENP do shorter visits? We would love to visit with our kids but only for a few hours not an entire day.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ENP- New day program

No, the full day visit is the shortest program they offer. There are a number of ways to visit, but to the best of my knowledge, there are no half day programs.

Other posters may be able to recommend somewhere that offers ethical half day visits.

Do choose wisely regarding elephant camps etc, as there is a wide variation in the treatment of elephants.

Safe travels. MCG

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ENP- New day program

Absolutely, we have zero interest in supporting unethical treatment of any animal

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ENP- New day program

Have a look at the Thai Elephant Home. They have a two hour program option.

Caroline.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ENP- New day program

ENP also does not support any unethical treatment of the animals. ENP and Boon Lott Sanctuary are the only place in Thailand where they treat the elephants with respect so you can not ride the elephants, while other so called elephant rescues abuses the elephant by letting visitors ride the elephants. ENP is 250-acre sanctuary and rescue center for elephants in Chiang Mai. Founded in the 1990s, the project's aim is to provide sanctuary for distressed elephants from all over Thailand. You should take a look ENP's Mission Statement before you claim they treat the animals unethical.

Elephant Nature Park Mission Statement

1.Sanctuary for endangered species: We provide homes for these animals as well as contributing to their welfare and development.

2.Rain Forest Restoration: One of the most exciting developments at the park is our programme of tree planting the surrounding area. The ecological balance of plants and animals will be encouraged by the re-introduction of the rain forest. Some 25 acres of the mountainside will be planted every year for the first 5 years.

3.Cultural Preservation: To maintain, as much as possible, the cultural integrity of the local community. By creating employment and purchasing agricultural products locally we are assisting the villagers in sustaining their distinct culture. Park managers are recruited locally to oversee the park’s progress.

4.Visitors Education : To educate visitors, individuals, study groups, schools and interested parties. Emphasis on the plight of the endangered local species will be presented.

5.Act independently of pressure groups and political movements that we consider contrary to the well being of the park and the creatures in its care

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ENP- New day program

> ENP and Boon Lott Sanctuary are the only place in Thailand where they treat the elephants with respect

Yes.. yes, that is the spiel. ;)

I wish they'd increase their truthiness in that regard. They're an excellent operation, but there's no need really you'd think.