We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night repellent

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
night repellent

Possibly a silly question but how do you do the repellent at night? Is there a brand that lasts all night or do you need to get up to re apply?

Does repellent have to have DEET to be effective

Any recommendations on a highly effective repellent for a 2 and 4 year old ?

Tia

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: night repellent

Sleep with the windows shut, spray the room with bug spray before you go out for dinner.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: night repellent

Hi

what type of hotel are you staying in?

If it does not have AC or screens on windows to keep out bugs I would ask the hotel for mosquito netting

I would not spray toddlers then put to bed.

Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night repellent

We bought a plug in repellant with refills before leaving home, I think we got them from the supermarket or outdoor shop. The refills were little blocks so were fine in our bags. Seemed to work fine in CM.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night repellent

Most places will have air con and screens. You have to be careful when you are opening and closing the doors not to let them in. Many places also light coils around the property before dusk. If you are not staying somewhere with air con and screens I would definatley be asking for a mosquito net.

Caroline.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: night repellent

We are staying at the Rimping. I have contacted the hotel and they advised that they have air con, screens, light coils and spray rooms..seems thorough to me...

I wish I wasn't so afraid, I'm so excited about this holiday ..however the way everyone talks about dengue makes it seem like as soon as you get off the plane you'll be covered head to toe by mosquitos and get seriously Ill.

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: night repellent

You have mosquitos in Perth, don't you? Just do the same in Chiang Mai as you do at home. Johnsons (of the baby product variety) make a very effective non-DEET mosquito repellent so apply some before putting the children to bed and they'll be fine. I use this repellent myself and it's excellent.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: night repellent

We do :) and iI'm a magnet, I guess we've just really viewed it as a concern here, although it is entirely possible to get sick.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: night repellent

I have a one & half year old daughter here in CM. When we are home, we keep the screen doors closed and have an electric "tennis racket" to get the odd one that sneaks in. When we visit relatives in the country who have no screens, we sleep under a mosquito net. When we go out to somewhere that the risk of bites is higher, like an outdoor food festival or restaurant, we apply some bug repellent to our daughter (and ourselves).

To avoid an area due to the possibility of Dengue, would eliminate many equatorial regions (including Queensland) as vacation destinations. When traveling I am more concerned about my daughter handling things in public markets and then sticking her hands in her mouth, than I am about her getting Dengue.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: night repellent

Is mosquito spray sold in Thailand expensive and is it more effective than the stuff we take out from the uk?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: night repellent

No it is not expensive. DEET sprays can be purchased from pharmacies all over Chiang Mai. It is probably no more effective than one you would buy in the UK. You just have to make sure the one you buy has DEET. They are often marked Tropical Strength.

In Australia all supermarkets stock various Tropical Strength brands.

Caroline.