We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night repellent

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
night repellent

Possibly a silly question but how do you do the repellent at night? Is there a brand that lasts all night or do you need to get up to re apply?

Does repellent have to have DEET to be effective

Any recommendations on a highly effective repellent for a 2 and 4 year old ?

Tia

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
65 reviews
11. Re: night repellent

We used the local brand repellent, Sketelene which we found very effective and easy to find.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
2 reviews
12. Re: night repellent

Local bug repellent is reasonably priced. Is it more effective ... hard to say, since I haven't used UK repellents. But on the positive side it has been formulated locally with local mosquitoes in mind. And works just fine for me (we use a brand name repellent for our daughter as the Thais don't make infant specific formulations).

Woodend, Australia
Level Contributor
264 posts
34 reviews
13. Re: night repellent

My kids and l are also magnets for mossies the difference between there and home is that we are unlikely to contract dengue fever. There are mossies in CM and at Rimping Village as we stayed there last year as they were definitely buzzing around. I too was worried about the kids getting bitten so l smothered them and myself in RID before we left the room and reapplied every few hrs (they were sick of it after 3 wks). After they had showered at night l sprayed them before bed and that did the trick. I carried the bottle with me everywhere and sprayed, sprayed, sprayed. It worked we were in Asia for 3 wks and no bites. My husband who never gets bitten at home never sprayed at all and not one bite!! Go figure..Don't stress to much its a beautiful country and you will love it.

norfolk
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
32 reviews
14. Re: night repellent

Thanx for info everyone! At least I have not got to worry if I run out of suitcase supply!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
2 reviews
15. Re: night repellent

Hi

probably have a higher chance of children getting sick from over spraying then from bites.

and doing more long term damage. IMO I never use repellent and I live near Chiang Mai

what I do is wear long sleaves and pants as soon as the sun goes down. eveing and night is worst time

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
58 reviews
16. Re: night repellent

Don't get to panicky over a mozzie or you won't enjoy yourself. Most places will spray your room when cleaning but you can also buy a can of spray very cheaply. Just remember to close any non screen doors and windows particular as the afternoon comes on. I find the mozzies are more a nuisance when I am out of a night than in any of the rooms I stay in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
119 reviews
17. Re: night repellent

And I go back to my post - don't panic or over-analyse upon reading these huge dengue figures or you won't enjoy your holiday. Think of the number of visitors to Thailand every year (a Google search told me over 20 million in 2012!). I wonder how many of those caught dengue? Probably more died from falling drunkenly off balconies.

Jokes aside, if you go to a Boots chemist, they have several options for mozzie repellants. We found it useful to buy both a DEET one, apply once a day, and use a citronella one for other sprays. Alternating like this saves you poisoning yourself with DEET, and the Boots citronella seemed to work well for us.

18. Re: night repellent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:18