We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mae Sa waterfall V Doi Inthananon

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Mae Sa waterfall V Doi Inthananon

Hi everyone, putting together my "itinerary" for Chiang Mai to make sure i have enough time there and was hoping you could help me out on the difference between Mae Sa waterfall and Doi Inthananon. If i understand it correctly from what i have read, Mae Sa waterfall you can swim in and buy a picnic lunch & that there are 10 levels and not far from CM, whereas I believe Doi Inthananon is 2 hours away, has magnificant falls but you cannot swim in them and there is a lot more walking? . We are looking at 8 nights in CM, would you recommend both or are they pretty much the same? thanks :)

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mae Sa waterfall V Doi Inthananon

Hi

I think its depends what you're looking for. If you just want to chill swims in waterfall closer to town then Mae Sa and you can combines other tours in the same day.

Doi intanon are further to travel but beautiful scenery. You need to spend the whole day to worth traveling there.

If you have 8 days I would definitely do both.

Cheers,

Edited: 03 February 2014, 00:51
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mae Sa waterfall V Doi Inthananon

Mae Sa is more of a cascade than a waterfall. It is quite pretty and nice for a visit. But I would give swimming in it a miss, as the Mae Sa Elephant camp is just upstream and elephants, like little kids, tend to relieve themselves anytime they get in the stream (bathing, crossing and playing around).

Doi Inthanon has much more to offer than simply waterfalls, so if you have to choose one or the other definitely do Doi Inthanon.

But the most popular waterfall at D.I. is right near the parking lot, a few hundred steps away and there is food sold right there. There are additional falls that are a walk to get to. And these are waterfalls not cascades.

3. Re: Mae Sa waterfall V Doi Inthananon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:18