We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ask - Overland bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay

Ho Chi Minh City...
6 posts
Save Topic
Ask - Overland bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay

Hi all, as you know Thailand and Myanmar (Burma) open border gate to go through. I would like to go by bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay but I cannot found any guide to go. So anyone have experience, please share this information for me :)

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ask - Overland bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay

As far as I know there is no bus service running through the border but I'd like to hear about it if there is one.

I assume you know that you have to get a Burma tourist visa in advance?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ask - Overland bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay

There is no through bus service. The only Thailand to Myanmar bus service is Bangkok to Yangon. From Yangon you could take the express bus to Mandalay. But CM to Bangkok to Yangon to Mandalay is a heck of a lot of time on buses.

Ho Chi Minh City...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ask - Overland bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay

Thanks for your suggestion @Kali737, but there 's no Burma visa requirements for Vietnam citizens anymore. Because I join Loy Krathong festival in Chiang Mai, so I don't want to go back Bangkok and then to Burma. I hope find any way to go through from Chiang Mai to Mandalay :)

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ask - Overland bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay

You can take a bus to Mae Sai, cross over on foot, then perhaps work your way by local buses through Myanmar. But I have never seen any details on those buses, so can't be certain. You might try posting in the Myanmar forum so see if anyone has overlanded.

Ho Chi Minh City...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ask - Overland bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay

thanks MrCycling, I will try posting in Myanmar forum for solution :)

6. Re: Ask - Overland bus from Chiang Mai to Mandalay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:24