We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

We will be in Chiang Mai Nov 6-9, 2014. We are debating between staying at RatiLanna Riverside Resort (a bit South of the main city, right on the river) or at Dusit D2 (in the heart of Chiang Mai). RatiLanna is considerably more expensive - and forces you to buy their $122 pp dinner/Loy Krathong gala ticket.

Can anyone give input on this? It will be my husband and I - we are both 30 and like activity/buzz/action, but also like quiet and relaxation. Thanks!!

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

There are a couple of other properties that you may like to look at. They are Sirilanna and De Naga Hotel. Both are well situated and have excellent reviews.

You will be able to walk anywhere from both of these places.

Chiang Mai is a great place to be for Loy Krathong as there is so much going on. We were there for the festival about 2 years ago and are still talking about it.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 01:10
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

One you might like to price right on the river is Sala Lanna. It is a new boutique hotel on the riverside strip. It has a small roof top pool (but is low rise - only two or three levels). It is a beautiful hotel and has a great location for Loy Krathong. They have a deck out over the river and I imagine a lot of their rooms also have river views. It can be noisy around the river (and everywhere really) but it is part of the experience. Lots of fireworks until late at night, so if you are a light sleeper ear plugs might be good.

The Baan Orapin is on the riverside strip but over the road - not a river front location. It is however very close to the river but would give a bit of space to escape. Beautiful grounds and the owners hold a Loy Krathong party for guests - to my knowledge this is no extra charge.

Caroline.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

These are 2 excellent choices from Caroline. We stayed at Baan Orapin and it was a fantastic experience.

Sala Lanna is a new hotel and right on the river so it would be an excellent position.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

Caroline,

Thank you SO much for your advice! I am looking at both of your suggestions now - and they are very reasonably priced. We are very much looking forward to this magical experience. :)

Bethany

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

Thank you, Wendy! It is so hear from someone who has actually been there! I will take a look at both of these options.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

Personally, I wouldn't stay anywhere near the river over Loy Krathong because of the noise of the fireworks right through the night. We had family stay at a hotel on the river last Loy Krathong and they were exhausted due to lack of sleep - even with earplugs. I'd look for something within the city walls where it'll be a bit quieter.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

Baan Orapin was a great choice as once you enter through the gates it is much quieter. Yes you can sometimes hear the fireworks but it didn't bother us too much and I'm a light sleeper.

The atmosphere is fantastic near the river. Make sure you get a seat at one of the riverside restaurants at night because its great viewing.

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

I concur about not staying near the river. The fireworks are deafening and they just don't stop!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

I've spent two Loy Krathongs at Baan Orapin, in 2011 and 2013, and what's more, both times in the front wing, much nearer to the street. Certainly you hear the fireworks, but you would anywhere in the city area. I am a light sleeper, but was quite able to sleep well, and didn't feel the need to resort to earplugs, though I had packed them just in case. And it is such a delightful place to come back to at night, after the excitement and noise of the festival. Going through the little door in the high gate is like entering a magic world at Loy Krathong, with the garden and the old teak mansion lit by lanterns, and the moon riding high among all the drifting loy khom. But on second thoughts, don't go to Baan Orapin at Loy Krathong - I want to be able to get my junior suite there again! ;)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai

Hear, hear, Shirry! Although now that we have discovered the suite at the back, we won't fight you for the front wing.