We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

Hi, I want to visit Mae Hong Son at end of week, have 5 days total so not sure if travelling by land is my best option. I can only find one airline that flys there, Nok Air. Does anyone know of another airline or can they advise the best way of getting there. Also any advice on Mae Hong Son would be greatly appreciated

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

We flew from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, and have a transfer to Mae Hong Son.

Our family had a great time at Fern Resort in Mae Hong Son. The resort has a nice terrace bar at sunset, also the big and lush garden. Staff there were friendly and very helpful, they made us feel almost like family.

From Chiang Mai there are two bus routes to Mae Hong Son:

Northern route through Pai (approximately 7 hours)

Southern route through Mae Sariang (approximately 8 hours).

My husband,children and I had a private minivan transfer to Mae Hong Son as we arrived Chiang Mai quite late in the afternoon. There was no flight from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son in the evening

airporttransfersthailand.com/Chiang_Mai_Airp…

We returned by air to Chiang Mai to save time http://www.kanairlines.com

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,071 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

Similar recent post:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297928-i10519-…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

I'd do it by plane - Nok Air are great! It's a difference between half an hour in the air and seven hours on the road. For such a short flight, they provide good service (you even get a snack!) and the planes have a cute smiley face on the front.

If you'd prefer to do at least one way by road, and can spare a day, it's pleasant to break up the journey at either Pai (2-3 hours from CM) or Soppong (4 hours from CM). You can spend a night there and feel refreshed when you arrive the next day.

I agree whole heartedly with Anna's comments re Fern Resort. It is a wonderful place, and evenings in the Rice Terrace bar are heaven, while you sip a beer and watch the sunset, listening to the frog calls.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

Kan Air also fly that route.

http://www.kanairlines.com/main/

Have fun

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

Kan Airlines' planes are Cessna type, and are more fun to fly in, IMO. Whichever airline you chose, if flying, the views will be wonderful and the landings and take-offs exciting!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
933 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

Anna, just to follow up on your airport ground transfer option - the fixed rate from CNX to Mae Hong Son by Airport taxi is now 7,400 baht. Quite a bit less expensive than the rates in your post, which are all more than 10,000 baht. I might add that the Chiang Mai airport taxis are all rather new and in good order.

7. Re: Best way to get to Mae Hong Son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:19