We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We can kiss that one goodbye

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
We can kiss that one goodbye

It was after one of the Air Asia special sales that we found ourselves with two fly-through tickets to Chiang Mai.

I believe these AA sales should come with a Government health warning. I’ve found they can be quite addictive.

Anyway, on the first of April 13 we were in possession of seats 44H and 44K heading out of Sydney on the eighteenth of March 14.

Now it seems that the closest we’ll ever get to those seats will be if we go outside on the evening of the eighteenth of March 14 at around ten pm and look into the night sky for a blinking light thirty thousand feet up (so if you happen to have seats on the same flight, you’re welcome to ours, they’re nice seats, enjoy)

It started out so nice.

The intention was to revisit one of our favourite places and then make our way back to Bangkok via Thailand’s neighbours several weeks later.

The cook and I were to travel down the Mekong to Luang Prabang then a return visit to Vang Vieng before having to decide on, spending Songkran 14 in Vientiane Laos or return on the Thanaleng to Bangkok overnight train for a shower in the capital.

All of this is now irrelevant. We won’t make this flight.

Sometimes shi@ happens.

The best we can hope for is a refund on the taxes.

We were aware of the pitfalls when we purchased the tickets.

I think we're lucky; I booked only one way tickets to Chiang Mai. Not knowing the exact date of our return worked in our favor.

Once again the addiction kicks in.

Accepting our predicament, a return to Chiang Mai would now have to be postponed.

My thoughts turn to our next driving force.

I find two things; goals need to be set and consolation in the next Air Asia sale.

On the twenty fourth of February 14 once again we would agree Chiang Mai was the place we wished to go.

Once again we have two one way seats, 44K and 44H.

Only this time instead being wet down we’ll be getting fired up.

We’ve had to say goodbye to Songkran but now we’ll be saying hello to Yee Ping.

We have a Dynasty Club room booked at the Centara Duangtawan Hotel (with the help of our friend Khun Shettapong) in November and seven months to plan.

The cook and I want to do everything. We want to do nothing.

We want to see, hear, taste, smell and touch The Rose in full bloom.

We want November tomorrow.

inaspin

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: We can kiss that one goodbye

Inaspin I hope you are enjoying the ambiance of the dog house tonight.

I like you like to play with the Air Asia sales. I have been known to book a return flight before booking a flight over - or booking internal flights before booking the international ones... nothing like a punt.

One thought - have you ever been to Huey Tueng Reservior? It isn't far out of town - maybe 20 - 30 mins at most. You can sit in the little floating huts over the water and have food and drinks bought to you. It is a really pretty place. We went during the week and it was very quiet. I think the weekends would be far busier. It is a nice little 3 hour or so excursion into the country side.

Have you been to Baan Tawai - I think the cook would love it - you - not so much. It could be your key out of the dog house though.

Caroline.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: We can kiss that one goodbye

18 is now just a number in the rear view.

Now we’re looking forward (acceptance) we’ll have a ball.

Oh boy! I mean girl, I mean wow! are you in for a shock Merrilyn1617?

You say in September you finally get to go to Chiang Mai/Rai.

You’re in for a pleasant surprise. It’s nothing like Phuket or even Bangkok and certainly nothing like Patong. It’s a part of Thailand that’ll stay with you long after you’ve left. It’s a part of Thailand that’ll have you wondering just what’s down that little soi. Then have you wandering down to find out.

Have fun

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: We can kiss that one goodbye

Glad to hear you are returning to CM. It certainly is great place and it truly gets under your skin.

We "found" Chiang Mai back in 2012 and on October 22nd for 16 nights we'll be returning for our 4th visit!!

We too are really looking forward to being part of the celebrations of Yee Ping and Loi Krathong.

Hope you and the cook have a wonderful trip Inaspin

Safe and happy travels

Edited: 22 April 2014, 12:03
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: We can kiss that one goodbye

Huey Tueng Reservior is a possibility, thanks, I’ll have a look.

Baan Tawai is a no way! Don’t make me do it again kind of experience…… So I won’t put her through that again.

What I really want to do is to grab an early cab and to catch a sunrise up at Wat Phra That on Doi Suthep

As far as that unfortunate incident this afternoon goes.

The cook is none the wiser. That’s the way it‘ll stay if I have my way. Nobody deserves to be bailed up in the dog house, tonight or any other night.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: We can kiss that one goodbye

Thank you lushlynds2506, you are nice people.

Have fun

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: We can kiss that one goodbye

Inaspin,

That cake is actually a true piece of Black Forest Cake that was got by driving all the way to St Peter for. We stayed in St Margen in the Black Forest and this cake was the most delicious cake and nothing like the stuff here in Aussie that is supposedly black forest cake!!! It takes someone like our friends to show you the real stuff. Mind you we just loved the Black Forest it was breath taking. A once in a life time trip - we still keep coming back to Chiang Mai and also on the AA sales!!!

Keza

27. Re: We can kiss that one goodbye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 07:15