We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Nimmanhemin or Old City?

This will be my and my teenage kids first trip to Chiang Mai. We are going because the kids want to do adventuresome activities rather than looking at museums in other parts of the world. I was looking for a place in Old City, when I came across a modern hotel, Nimman Mai Design Hotel in Nimmanhemin which looked cool. But will it be too much of a schlep going to Old City all of the time? Will probably be doing various adventuresome activities in the day, so it will affect us more at night. Is there night life near Nimmanhemin? and if so, what is the age limit for nightlife (kids are 17 and 19)? So, Nimmanhemin or Old City?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Maybe s/he is German or Dutch as origin of the word is German dialect ( according to dictionary) The person spoke to you are they Thai ?

I'm Thai and schlep is definitely not a Thai word.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

It's a word that you'll hear more in the US - a place where Yiddish words pop up with frequency. Note the OP, who used 'schlep' is from America. It's such an expressive word for dragging along a distance in an arduous way, perhaps carrying a load! The 'sch' gives a clue as to its origin in German.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Op here. Wow! Thanks for all of your responses!! Thanks, Caroline for your recommendation on 99 The Gallery. I will look it up. I will also look up Elegant Lanna. Originally, I figured that the kids, ages 17 and 19, would love the very modern hotel of Nimman Mai Design Hotel and the trendy area of Nimmanhemin, but Old City may give a more authentic flavor of Chiang Mai. Besides, we live in Los Angeles, California, so we can see modern designed hotels in the US or other places.

I apologize for using the slang term "schlep." I am Chinese, born in America, and schlep is used so often in the US. But yes, I meant long arduous trips into Old City.

One more question, and I'll post it here in addition to starting a new thread.

What about the differences in staying in Old City vs Night Bazaar area?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Old City gets my vote by a mile! It's such a lovely area full of little lane ways, shops, cafes, wats etc. You can get lost easily but you're never far from the moat, so you're never really lost for long. There are heaps of good character-filled places to choose from.

And don't apologise about 'schlep'! It's good to get us thinking about language!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

We are currently looking at The Grand Napat which is north of the old city about half way to Nimmanhemin and I was also wondering if that is going to get annoying going back and forward to the Old City and night bazaar. It doesn't appear to be much around the Grand Napat except a 7-11.

We're also in a large family group so we're also going to need a few taxis or tuk-tuks anytime we need to go anywhere. We don't mind walking but when you have kids from 2 - 14 there is always going to one who doesn't want to walk, is tired, is thirsty, is hungry or a husband that needs a cold beer!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

Wow - makes me glad I travel solo : ))

I think you've answered your own question. IMHO it might well get annoying trying to co-ordinate your party to get around from that location. If you stay in the old town it will be easy for your group to split up if necessary and meet up back at your hotel or a fave coffee shop. There is less traffic within the city walls so walking and wandering is pleasant.

Trisha

17. Re: Nimmanhemin or Old City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 06:41