We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with 5 days? In N.Thailand?

California
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with 5 days? In N.Thailand?

Hello I'm trying to decide what to do with five days... I'm trying to decide if I should spend all my time in Chaing Mai or if I should split them between Chaing Rai and Chaing Mai? Any thoughts anyone? Or any other recommendations? I will be there around June 20th

Thanks!

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with 5 days? In N.Thailand?

recently spent about 5 days in the area and if you want to see stuff, suggest you make the trip to chiang rai. get a private car to have the driver get you a full day around the golden triangle. bus ride takes about half day between chiang mai and chiang rai.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with 5 days? In N.Thailand?

Hmmm, it depends what you most like to do. There is plenty to do in and around Chiang Mai to easily fill five days, in fact five days is not enough! There are many many temples, cafes, small shops and galleries to explore around the old city, markets to pick through, elephants and much much more. But - if you want a great place to explore hill-tribes from, you'd do better to go up to Chiang Rai. I wouldn't do a whole day from CM - CR - Golden triangle. That is a very long day and you'll spend most of it in the car/bus. A night in CR is very relaxing and you can perhaps get up there early (whatever the first bus is?), meet a driver and spend the day looking around.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with 5 days? In N.Thailand?

Hi

With just only 5 days I would pick just one either Chiangmai or Chaingrai both city deserved that length ( the longer the better as so much to see and do ) of time to discovers the main sites.

The day tour from Chaingmai to Chaingrai can be done. But as above says its going to be a very long day. You will have to leave Chaingmai very early and return very late back to Chaingmai.

Tough choice :)

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with 5 days? In N.Thailand?

I agree with sweetpea. We spent 7 days the first time in both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and for us - coming back to Chiang Mai for the 4th time and will be spending 14 days. No matter the choice please pick only one and do it justice. This is one of the best countries to go to and you will enjoy whatever place you decide. You will not go wrong in either choice.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with 5 days? In N.Thailand?

I completely agree with all the advice given above. With only 5 days only do one place. There is plenty to do in 5 days in either CM or CR. You will waste a day getting in transit and with only 5 days I don't think it's worth it.

Caroline.

6. Re: What to do with 5 days? In N.Thailand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 06:16