We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

This is an article taken from today’s Bangkok Post.

I found it interesting.

bangkokpost.com/travel/travel-feature/405082…

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

Thanks, an interesting read about the consequences of mass tourism.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

Thanks inaspin. We did notice a change in the tourist population all over the north when we were there recently - many big buses going where big buses should never go! It was interesting to talk to hotel owners and get their perspective.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

Hi

I have to agree with those business owners. It is /was disturbing to see big busses turn up the places that it shouldn't as spopey says. I'm not Chiangmai born but studied, worked and lived in Chaingmai for number of years it make my blood boiled with anger when see things like this happens to the most and important city of northern history. I had frist hand experience about the Chinese let theirs children releasing themselves in public. It was disgusting behavior the walk to the toilet would be only 5-10 mins away !!!

That's my rant, Thanks inaspin :)

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

A good read. I have no tolerance for this kind of behaviour, and no tolerance for any excuses either.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

Hi

I have seen the other side of Chinese tourisim the affluent and educated

I live in Chiang khong one of the main roads to and from China I have sat at my favorite smoothie bar on the main street thru town and watched caravans of chinese tourist driving their own cars some times as many as 30 in a row all lexus, BMW, infintity, etc. usually they are polite and courteous and we even get quite a few Chinese backpackers mostly students no problem It is the hordes of nouvo rich that is the problem.

same with the russians. Class and civility can not be bought but both come from societys where money is power now that they have a little money they think they can treat the world like they were treated when poor

and yes they do act the same way at home.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

Thanks inaspin.....a friend had sent me the article this morning. I and many of my friends here in CNX who have businesses are complaining about this problem. We are beginning to reach the conclusion that the reason they seem to always be walking in the middle of the street is because so many of them are either letting their children re-leave themselves - and the adults are also doing the same at the curb in front of business as well as some of our homes. One of my friends who lives in the neighborhood near Nimn...a very nice neighborhood I might add, was shocked while watering her garden in the morning a few weeks ago to find a crowd of these tourists squatting right outside her gate taking care of their business. She said they didn't bat and eye....finished their business and walked away leaving quite a mess that needed to be cleaned up. Guess it's a learning curve and China needs to instruct their traveling citizens what the hong nam. is for!!! Marie (nannyre)

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

Seriously?? Is this really happening??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

I have heard that they also do it in the shallow water on beaches when they go out on boat tours from Phuket, a lot of Thais do not want to take them out anymore.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

At the White Temple in Chiang Rai they have also had serious trouble with at best disrespectful Chinese tourists, so much so that the White Temple now enforces (with their own security) the rule that Chinese tourists must be accompanied by a Guide (and they provide guides) at all times, especially within the main temple building.

I've also noticed a huge self-opinionated dominance by loud, noisy, pushy Chinese in the last couple of years or so - they walk all over the innately polite, conflict-avoiding Thai. In a beautiful, classy restaurant I heard them demanding (and getting, sadly) food that was not on the menu, even though there were listed there some of the most delicious dishes you could ever wish for.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinese takeaway or Ding Jinhao was here

Oh dear done they realise that they are losing FACE?