We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is floating lantern festival dangerous

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is floating lantern festival dangerous

Hi we will be in Chiang mai November this year so will see the floating lanterns....ive just read of the amount of deaths in FIVE days from the loy krathong festival and was wandering if they are all like this.

Ive been told itit's a wonderful place to bring our kids, however 250 deaths from rd accidents in FIVE days doesn't appear to be all that great

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is floating lantern festival dangerous

The recent festival is Songkran, the Thai new year. Loi Krathong is in November at the same time as Yee Ping.

Songkran unfortunately suffers from a high accident rate due to lots of drinking and then driving the motorcycle somewhere else to drink some more. Loi Krathong and Yee Ping are more about the festival, lanterns, krathongs, etc.

Putting the danger level of Songkran vs Loi Krathong/Yee Ping in a western perspective, you can think of it as New Year's Eve partying vs Christmas Day

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is floating lantern festival dangerous

We were there for Loy Krathong two years ago and felt very safe there.

I'm sure that you will have a lovely time.

It's a festival that we are still talking about.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is floating lantern festival dangerous

Hi

you cannot compare the two.

Songkran which is almost over Is the most dangerous time of the year as many people are going back home to be with family to me Songkran is like Christmass and New years in the west as everyone wants to be with family and they drink and party too much.and make bad desicison

Loy krathong is more like Easter people are more subdued dress up nice and more religious lots of parades and not as many people travel home. or get as drunk LOL, IMO Loy krathong is a must see and should be on one's bucket list

Thailand is no 3 in accidental road deaths in the world. so you are at risk no matter what time you come

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: is floating lantern festival dangerous

Ahhh I see, sorry I've got the names mixed up, I was referring to the recent festival.

Thank you for the anologies, they helped me feel comfortable :)

5. Re: is floating lantern festival dangerous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:15