We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market advice

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Market advice

Hi all,

Just under 10 weeks now until we return to Chiang Mai, so intently planning, even though we have been many times before. It has dawned on me, after reading past posts and trip reports, that we have possibly not seen all of Worowat Market on our previous visits.

Are there roads that mark a distinct boundary, and are there any 'must see' stalls amongst the craziness? We love this market and always visit but think we may have missed a large portion due to poor navigational skills! I am going to Baan Tawaii on this trip as I would like to purchase some home wares, however is there any special home wares stalls I should check our whilst in the Worowat area? Thanks in advance.

MCG

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Market advice

This short clip from YouTube was something Jez T shot from inside of the markets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW94tkca7lU

At the 26 second mark of this clip you’ll notice a blue sign. Underneath the sign there are several people with hairnets on.

The one in the blue hairnet is bringing in more stock.

Now at the bottom of the screen and just left of the centre you should also see a pole.

The old girl is to the left of that pole. Surprisingly on this particular day she is awake.

Think of this as, maybe a mud map of sorts.

Have fun

Brisbane
Level Contributor
343 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Market advice

Priceless information, inaspin!! Even better than a mud map - I think I've been past this stall, noticed a lot of people buying up, but its true significance (and the fact that I wasn't hungry at the time) was lost on me. But not next time! Thanks so much.

Shirry

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Market advice

Getting ready for our late Sept jaunt and checking out all of my saves! Can't wait to check out this little beauty!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Market advice

OMG Same Karen!!! Leave for Bangkok on Sept 13 & will be up in Chiang Mai on the 18th so I was wading through the forum this morning & found this post which I actually forgot to save. Thank you so much for posting & bringing it back to the forefront. 5.5 weeks & counting!!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Market advice

We are off next Monday 11th August....will definitely be visiting this market. What priceless information. I have copied and printed for my big book of Thai info!!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Market advice

We arrive on the 19th nessnem!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
947 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Market advice

We have just returned home after 5 days in Chiang Mai and my wife had to return to Warorot to buy some more Blue and White ceramic dinnerware, we bought some last year and it was her main reason for going back again this year, for those who dont know ,its the type used in Thai restaurants, its called Pineapple design, it sells for a fraction of the price here in Australia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Market advice

I just read your JBR aussie010 - I think I'll have a look at that ceramic ware - thanks for the tip! Vanessa

And Karen, how excited are you??? I just can't wait to get warm, Melbourne's freezing. Counting down those days!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Market advice

Just wanting to share another tip in this area.... a friend was shopping at a local Brisbane market and noticed some 'Chiang Mai cotton' tops and dresses in a stall. The stall owner explained that her sister lives in Chiang Mai and makes these items and sells from her shop in Chiang Mai. It turns out the shop is in the market building Ton Lam Yai (the one right on the river with the flower market on the roadside in the Warorot area) - on the second level.

She also has a stall at the Saturday and Sunday Walking Street Markets. Not sure if I am allowed to give the link but the shop name is khobkhum. Many of the dresses and tops are hand screen printed. They have an online shop (so google it) - but I am out to find it on the next visit. Very reasonable pricing.

Caroline.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 00:34
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Market advice

Great info Caroline.

Thanks, have noted for next time.

Cheers