We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking in June?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking in June?

Hi,

I am planning a solo 7-10 day trip to Chiang Mai in the month of June, and would like to do a 3 day trek in the jungles. As this coincides with the 'hot' season of the year, I was wondering if it will be advisable to do so. As I am coming out fresh from a stint in the army, I will be physically fit.

I have done a couple of forum searches on trekking in June, to no avail.

I am also considering trekking in Chiang Dao instead of Chiang Mai.

Advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking in June?

June is rainy season and actually a bit cooler than the "hot" season which is right now. The biggest drawbacks to rainy season is muddy, slippery trails and a few more mosquitoes. But a fair number of folks still trek during that time of year.

Chiang Dao area maybe a bit cooler than Chiang Mai, but as most treks head into the mountains anyway, there won't be a huge difference once you are on the trails (unless you are doing a hike to the top of Doi Chiang Dao).

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking in June?

... and a few more leeches in 'rainy' season!

OP you're from Singapore, so you'd be familiar that 'rainy' season doesn't mean all-day, every-day rain; usually a good dumping in the afternoons/ evenings.

I can recommend Pooh's Eco Trek as a good outfit to go trekking with. More remote 'untouristed' areas.

Temperatures, should be fine, as above noted, not as HOT as it is right now, and up in the mountains is a little cooler anyways.

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking in June?

It is the beginning of the rainy season so probably the mud and sludge won't be a big problem yet, unlike say Oct.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking in June?

Hi

As mr.cycling says no matter you book in Chaingmai or chaing do they will take you to pretty much same mountain /area anyway. However if you base yourself in chiangdao you will have less travel time by car to starting point. If you base in Chaingmai most usually leave town around 8.30 -9am

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekking in June?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Mud, leeches and mosquitoes, I'm not afraid of (Singapore's pretty much the same in our forested areas, minus the leeches). I'll be trekking in a pair of full leather boots and bringing a goretex raincoat just in case.

I guess I'll start my trek from Chiang Mai after all!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trekking in June?

Personally I think June is WAY better than the hot season. It's all much greener (stuff tends to die when there's no significant rain for half a year) compared to the dry/hot season. It get's really dead and dusty then, not to mention hot.

Also it doesn't rain that often yet in June, mostly a late afternoon / evening shower. If that happens it can be more slippery, but really that adds to the fun/challenge.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trekking in June?

Does anybody have experiences of the bike/hike trekking, when mountain biking is incorporated into your trek? thanks.

8. Re: Trekking in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:16