We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday market?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Sunday market?

I've heard that last sunday market was cancelled.

Does anyone know about this weekend?

I'll arrive this sunday, and really look forward to go there.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday market?

Sunday Market is still open but it will close a little bit early. All shops will be close at 10.00 pm.

Chiangmai
Level Contributor
706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday market?

The curfew has been changed to midnight from 10PM in Chiang Mai and expected to be eliminated in Chiang Mai and other cities where tourists visit soon. My Thai friends who sell their handicrafts and food there expect the market to be open as normal this weekend.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday market?

Hi,

I've been collecting info on chiangmai in the past few weeks.

Have booked myself into a hotel next to the meridian cos of the market.

I'm confused with the list of markets I have found. Can anyone advice what the differences are between the below markets and which are worth visiting?

1. Anusuran Night Market

2. Night Bazaar

3. Saturday night market (saturdays only)

4. Walking street market (sundays only)

Appreciate your replies.

Thank you.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday market?

Hi,

First, it might have been better to start your own thread rather than tag onto a post that was active when there was a curfew in place earlier in the year as it may cause confusion.

But to briefly answer your questions.

Anusuran Night Market is part of the night bazaar just a bit further south on Chang Klan road and is open every night. It has some local products not just mass market tourist stuff, it also has some nice bars and restaurants including a decent seafood one.

The Night Bazaar is in Chang Klan road and is open 5pm until about 10pm every day, lots of t-shirts and tourist trinkets and a food court, there are also stalls lining Chang Klan road.

Saturday walking market sets up along Wua Lai road running south from Chiang Mai gate. It has similar stalls to the Sunday market bit is a bit smaller.

Sunday walking market is the biggy, it runs from the Tha Phae gate into the old city along Ratchamanka road and the side streets, it sets up from 5pm and closes around 10-11pm. There are lots of local products as well and the more usual stuff. The Wats along the road become food courts and offer cheap and delicious snacks.

Cheers

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday market?

Thanks and sorry for posting on the wrong thread

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday market?

Go to all of tbem and add in Warorot market too. Anusarn and the night bazaar are on the same road, easy walk between them. We found Anusarn better. Both walking strees are different. Sunday is definitely larger, but both have massive crowds. Similar items at both but we did see some unique things.

Warorot is the local market in town near the river. Much cheaper than the other markets. The flower area is great. We bought lots of kitchen utensils, dining gear etc. Worth a visit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday market?

The Saturday and Sunday markets are by far the most interesting. Plenty of local stuff to see, you get a good variety of food, drink, massages etc. Warorot is worth a visit and the rest are much more commercial but still worth seeing if you have the time.

Shafter, California
Level Contributor
452 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday market?

Does any of the markets show case local talent?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday market?

Yes they do. There is live music along the street - various artists. The blind musicians near the Tha Phae Gate are wonderful.

Caroline.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday market?

Thanks guys....is warorot market open everyday? time? Thanks.