We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging money at airport

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
exchanging money at airport

Hi all,

We will be flying in to Chiang Mai arriving around 10 pm. Will money changers booths be open at that late hour? We possibly won't have time to change money in Bangkok due to close connecting flight times. We will need money for a taxi, but more importantly, our guest house wants the balance of payment on check in. We have already paid half as a deposit. I was going to ask them if we could attend to payment in the morning, but unsure if that would be inappropriate, given they have stated clearly in their emails, that full payment must be made on check in.

We have always arrived in the daytime, so unsure what is available at the airport.

With thanks in advance. MCG

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchanging money at airport

Hi

I'm sure the exchange booths were open when we landed late a few years ago, that was around 10pm too.

If you're talking about Awanahouse, I haven't stayed there yet (October) but have had to change a few things recently and they've been very accommodating I'm sure if there were any issues getting money exchanged they would understand and give you until the following day. 3 Sis were fine with this when something similar happened to us at Christmas, all the booths were closed for a 30 minute evening meal break.

Hope you have a great time, looking forward to the JBR

Edited: 12 June 2014, 11:41
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchanging money at airport

Thanks Lushlynds. Yes, they have been great regarding booking and answering emails, so I feel sure the next day won't be a problem. Will def do a trip report.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchanging money at airport

Have you booked through to Chiang Mai? If not there are money exchange places in the immigration hall. Last time I stood in line while Neil went and exchanged some.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: exchanging money at airport

Plenty of ATM in the airport.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exchanging money at airport

You will find exchangers airside at BKK airport to change money.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: exchanging money at airport

Thanks everyone. Can't believe out of the many trips we have done, that we have never had any night flights to the north, or so little time in transit. Really appreciate your help.

MCG

adelaide,australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: exchanging money at airport

Singapore or kuala lumpur airport have good money changes at good rates with little or no fees.. Chiang mai airport is small but money changes are there too . But time of closing I am not sure borderline closing time..

Edited: 21 June 2014, 06:46
8. Re: exchanging money at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:16