We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple more questions!

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A couple more questions!

Hi,

We are flying from Manchester airport to Dubai and then onto Bangkok and finally Chaing Mai. Can anyone tell me from previous experience what will happen with our suitcases? Will we need to collect these at Dubai and then Bangkok? We have three hours in Dubai and only 1 hour 30mins in Bangkok! Hope this will be enough time!

Sorry for all the questions again!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple more questions!

Hi

I assume you booked the journey as one with Emirates. If you did, we do the same trip (but from Newcastle) and your luggage will be checked all the way through to Chiang Mai.

Safe and happy travels

Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple more questions!

Hi Lushlynds,

Thanks for the reply, that has definitely given us peace of mind! We fly with Emirates from Manchester airport!

Edited: 02 July 2014, 00:56
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple more questions!

Who are you flying the BKK-CM leg with?

If it's all on one ticket your luggage should go all the way through but you will have to clear immigration and security in BKK. So if you're tempted to buy some duty free in Dubai then don't as security at BKK will confiscate it.

Are you on the A380? I flew Dubai-BKK with Emirates last week. First time I've flown with them in a while and it was really good to be back - although they didn't serve drinks before the meal as they usually do and there was no breakfast at all which is very strange on an overnight flight.

Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple more questions!

Hi Kali737,

Thank you for the reply.

We are flying from Bangkok to Chaing Mai with Bangkok Airways. Just checked and the flight's are all on the same ticket.

It's an Emirates Airbus A380-800. Do you know how much baggage allowance your allocated and does this apply for your connecting flight too?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple more questions!

How long does Immigration and security take to clear in Bangkok as we only have 1hr 30mins before our connecting flight?

I certainly won't be buying any duty free from Dubai!

I'm looking forward to flying with Emirates. It's the first time so I'm expecting good things from them!

Thanks.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple more questions!

Hi James

Did you book the Bangkok Airways flight yourself or separately from your Emirates flight? If not you have nothing to worry about.

If you did, you can still get your luggage checked all the way through from Manchester as Emirates and Bangkok Airways have an interline agreement. All you do is show your Bangkok Airways ticket at check in and the check in clerk can do the rest. You still go through immigration at BKK regardless but the in-transit immigration is much quicker as it's normally much quieter.

Before anyone else adds I will say, Emirates don't have to do this, it's at the discretion of the check in desk but I've done it many times and never had any issues.

Safe and happy travels

Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple more questions!

Hi Lushlynds,

We booked our flight's all together with Expedia. It all sounds straight forward enough though which has given peace of mind! Thanks! :-)

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple more questions!

It' all on one ticket then, but just confirm it at the check in desk and you'll be given your boarding cards for all flights and your luggage will go all the way through.

Hope you have a great time, safe and happy travels

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple more questions!

Hi Steve

Good for you on the 380, I love this plane. I have only been on the Qantas one they use the Rolls Royce engine version ..Emirates is a very good airline. They have a general baggage allowance of 30 Kgs for Economy and 40 for Business as far as I know. I quite often fly on Bangkok on the CNX -BKK. They only have an allowance of 20 Kgs. .As your bag should be booked all the way I doubt they will charge you. I have only been charge once on Bangkok for over weight bag. It depend on the person checking you in..

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple more questions!

James, I've flown the Emriates/Bangkok Airways combination between Dubai and Chiang Mai several times and my bags are always checked all the way through to the destination. When you check in at CM on your return leg (assuming you are flying back the same way), the same applies: bags checked all the way through.

Bangkok Airways has a 20kg limit but if you join their frequent flier programme you get 30kg. Since you are on one ticket all the way then I would expect the 30kg limit to apply when you check in at CM but you can join the FF programme if you're worried that it won't.

Emirates have a fantastic inflight entertainment system called ICE. You have the choice of hundreds of on-demand films, TV programmes, sports, documentaries, albums etc that you can watch, FF, pause at will.

On my flight with them a few days ago I didn't like my meal much so afterwards I asked one of the cabin crew if I could have some snacks and I was impressed when he brought me a selection of oat bars and small packets of biscuits. If you're hungry or thirsty during the flight you can get something to eat/drink between the usual rounds of service.