We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

Hi,

About 6 years ago I did the slow boat from luang prabang - pak beng - huay xai. I then got a shared taxi from there to Chiang Mai. I did this because I met a few people on the boat (I think). Either that or I met them at the border. A coach is preferable.

Does anyone know if it is easy to travel to Chiang Mai these days from that border location? Should I get a coach? Will I be able to get a reliable coach from that border area or should I pre-book in luang prabang or something? I really would rather not do stuff like that too far in advance. I like to keep things fairly open. I may wish to stay longer in one particular place for example.

I am currently in Bangkok Khaosan Road so I thought it would be worthwhile being prepared this time. If anyone has any sound advice on the best way to go about this then that would be good.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,622 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

Hi,

There are several tour shops in the main street of Huay Xai that offer minivans to Chiang Mai and other destinations, there are departures that leave after the slow boats dock so you could just leave it until you arrive. Green Bus co also run a couple of 1st class buses back to Chiang Mai from Chiang Khong so if you couldn't get a ride the day you arrive then you could stay the night and go in the morning.

Cheers

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

I realize now that Huay Xai is actually on the Laos side and Chiang Khong is the Thai side. Can I just ask if you advise that I should arrange it on the laos or thai side of the border? Is there the same kind of service and prices on either side? Obviously I will not be able to get back over once I am across the border.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

Better to just book it from Luang Prabang. There are plenty of daily runs from LP to Chiang Kong and to Chiang Mai.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

Hi

be aware that the new friendship bridge is open from Chiang Khong to Huay Xai

no more river crossing.by ferry. the bridge is 5 km south of town You can pick up a local red bus very easy and cheap to chiang Rai 65 baht runs every hour but no AC about 3 hrs. or can take bridge to city transport into Chiang khong and pick up AC bus to chaing Mai.,

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

OK, Thank you guys,

CNXSteve - the problem is I wish to go via the mekong river from LP to Pak Beng to Huay Xai. I do not wish to go from coach all the way from LP to Huay Xai or Chiang Mai. That river trip is quite nice even though it makes your bum a bit sore.

I think that from what I have read it is probably a good idea to get a coach when I get into Chiang Khong.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

Yes, book it in LP. You'll have a choice of slow boat, speed boat, or coach.

7. Re: Shared taxi or coach travel from Huay Xai to Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:16