We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos this year

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mosquitos this year

Hi all :)

Who is over in CM now? With the rainy season happening I thought I'd ask how the mozzies are going this year...and for those that live there, a comparison to last year...

3 months to go for us...Wahoooo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos this year

peanutchele, we were there last week and if there is only 1 mozzi in Chiang Mai it will find my wife, we did not go down to the river area of a night, we spent every night in the night markets outside our hotel the Le Meridien and did not have any mozzies annoying us, we travelled out into the countryside one day and had lunch in a small restaurant on the side of the road and again no mozzies,

There could have been a problem down closer to the river but as said we did not venture down there at night, we did go to Warorot markets in the daytime as well as the large wholesale flower market ,again no mozzies.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos this year

Oh how cool! That's an improvement on last year's reports.

The rainy season is tthe worst time right?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos this year

peanutchele, I dont know, we did not have any rainy days just a couple of light showers on a couple of evenings, my wife always takes her Bushman repellent with Deet and has not had any problems, she just told me one night while waiting for me in the foyer of our hotel she seen a couple of mozzies flying around but not very many, we always go in july-aug period to south east asia and rarely encounter any mozzie problems, dont know what november-december is like;

Enjoy Chiang Mai

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos this year

Chiang Mai is always full of mosquitos. But I feel this year is not as bad as last. Their presence in any particular day or time or location cannot be predicted. Somehow it does not seem to depend on the weather. There can be few mosquitos during the rainy season and a place can be swarming with them in the midst of the dry season.

Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
747 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos this year

No mozzies when we went except near the restaurants next to the river. Have a good trip!

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos this year

Hi peanutchele, mossies are not necessarily going to be more abundant in the rainy season unless there is water lying about in small volumes - inside old tyres, ponds, buckets, areas of heavy water-holding vegetation etc. So they can be around at any time, and thrive in the warm weather all year, provided they have a place to breed.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
172 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitos this year

I'm currently in Chiang Mai and have been bitten a few times, not by the river. I think it just depends in whether there is standing water nearby. That said I do think the Mosquitos were worse in Luang Prabang, where I came from than here. I know they are around, even though I haven't seen many, so I wear my bug spray while out and about and as long as I do that I have no problems! Oh and for reference, I'm the person who will have 8 bites when others have maybe 1, so if there are Mosquitos they will find me. Thus, I don't think it's terrible right now but there definitely are some around so it's worth keeping the spray handy.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitos this year

I think I'm being bitten less this year than last. Re the above post, I think it much more likely that there will be more mosquitoes around in rainy season because there are lots of places were standing water is - any junk, old plant pots for example, where rain water can collect. Also last year I think dengue fever cases were at their highest during rainy season

9. Re: mosquitos this year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:17