We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

Westlake Village...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

I'm trying to plan a trip for the Yi Peng Festival In Chiang Mai, Thailand. My problem is the confusion with the traditional date (the free one, NOT the costly tourist one). I know the full moon is on Nov. 6 this year. and I'm planning on arriving in Chiang Mai on Nov 4 (morning) and leaving Nov 10 (Evening).

But will that work? Is the traditional festival ALWAYS on the full moon?

To see if they did I tried looking up past dates and then the date of the full moon; but trying to look up the past full moon dates I just kept getting pages and pages of full moon parties that didn't help at all.

I want to start booking dates but half the reason I'm going to Thailand is for the Festival.

Lanna Kingdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Untouched Thailand
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours
Chiang Mai Biking
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Chiang Mai Tour Center
Private Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Westlake Village...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

Sorry new here, can't find out how to edit my post (or delete it and repost with the fix). I put in the wrong leave date. I'm planning to leave Nov 9 (evening), NOT Nov 10. Sorry!

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

Hi

Yee Peng is festival involving with full moon ( 12 month of old Thai calendar year ) and **Yes only on the full moon**.

If really want to see traditional releasing lanterns you don't have to go far out of the city( and pay). Every temple will release lanterns on those nights.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

Hi,

The Mae Jo event you are talking about doesn't always happen on the full moon in fact it often happens a week before or so although the date is completely moveable depending on the monks who reorganise and run the event. They make no announcement about the date until mid September, sometimes later, and you can't really plan until they decide. You may be lucky, you may not, but you will see plenty of lanterns being released in Chiang Mai of the days of the Loy Krathong festival which does always culminate on the full moon.

Cheers

Brea, California
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

I'm also trying to figure out when the Mae Jo celebration is. I'll be in Chiang Mai on Nov. 3. If anyone finds more information, would greatly appreciate it!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,207 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

Toni there are four or five discussions with this information on page one of the Chiang Mai forum. Here is a link to one with the dates.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

Caroline.

Brea, California
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

Thanks, Caroline! I'm new here, so still trying to figure out the site, pages, etc. Much appreciated!

Brea, California
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

Thanks, Caroline! I'm new here so I'm still figuring out the site, forums, etc. Much appreciated!

8. Re: Lantern release in Chiang Mai - Always on full moon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 07:15