We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doi Inthanon - November

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Doi Inthanon - November

We are thinking about doing a day trip to Doi Inthanon National Park when we are in Chiang Mai in November, however I'm undecided about taking a whole day away from the city as we will only be there for three and a half days. I was looking at some photos on Google Image, and Doi Inthanon looks stunning when the weather is clear but pretty awful when it's rainy or overcast - I know that it's impossible to say what the weather will be like, but could anyone advice if it's more likely to be one or the other in the middle of November?! Is it still a good day trip if the weather isn't so good?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

Hi

I loved the weather in November as its not too not too cold just yet. But you will feels colder at the peak. Highly recommended well worth travel. You may see cloud hanging there and here in early morning.

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

Great weather in November and well worth the trip. Bring a jacket however, the temperature will be at least ten degrees cooler there than in Chiang Mai. Marie (nannyre)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

Super, thanks both!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,005 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

It is a great day and well worth doing - especially if it is your only day getting out of the city. Do take the warning of cold weather seriously. It was very cold when we were there. Take a jacket for sure.

Caroline.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

We went in November, and as everyone has said above, it was great weather. Right at the top, you will get cold - I think it was about 15 degrees when we were there, definitely jacket weather. There is a lovely short walk at the top, with a board walk covered in lichen and moss, taking you through the forest with many signposts giving info about the species of trees. You'll get some lovely photos here. It wasn't raining when we were there, but there was a misty low cloud that moved around a lot - again, some pretty photos. And everything was dripping with damp - but rather than being a pain, this added to the atmosphere.

San Diego
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

I went up to Doi Inthanon in November. To answer your question about doing the trip if the weather is not good, i personally would not do it if I only had three or four days in CM, as you will be spending a lot off time in the car with a limited view if the weather is bad. I had 2 weeks in CM so no big deal for me, but i remember doing the "are we there yet" thing.

I also did a trip out to Huay Tung Tao lake, which I liked better. You can rent a little pontoon that is attached to the shore and it is covered, and order some very good Thai food (and eat some dancing shrimp). You can also hile around the lake.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

Definitely worth the time. Remember, there is more to this than just the actual Doi Inthanon. There is also the highest point on Thailand and several waterfalls to enjoy. All are pretty much within short distances of each other. Weather in late April was fabulous!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

Yep, definitely go and take a jacket, it was absolutely freezing when I went. Plenty of things to see on the way to make a good day out.

9. Re: Doi Inthanon - November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17