We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zipline recommendation

singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Zipline recommendation

Hi,

I see there are so many, can I have some recommendations suitable for 5 and 9yrs old?

Gibbon seems very ex so I am not considering it at the moment.

Thanks a lot.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zipline recommendation

The half day trip with Jungle Flight is good. It includes pick up and drop off from your hotel. Morning pick up and you are back just after lunch (2.30ish). This is way long enough for kids that age. The full day would be too much in my opinion. We have two boys and they loved it. You might be able to get it a bit cheaper than the web page price from an agent in Chiang Mai when you arrive.

Caroline.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zipline recommendation

I'd go for jungle flight as mentioned above.

Id only choose jungle flight or flight of the gibbon, yes, they're more expensive, but you're passing for high safety standards.

Co Durham
Level Contributor
338 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zipline recommendation

We used Chiang Mai Zip Line - I had a 6 year old and 10 year old with me and they were brilliant. We did the full course for 2000 baht each, including the 400m wire over the river. The kids loved it, the staff were brilliant and it was a real highlight.

We were taken to it by our driver Joy who said it was better value than the larger companies.

See my photos on my blog www.lockeysonholiday.weebly.com - an amazing day.

Ian

singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zipline recommendation

Thanks all for the recommendation.

I m now deciding between jungle flight and chiangmai zipline. Anyone has jungle flight website? I tried google but it brought me to a forex site. I went to see the chiangmai link but it doesn't specify what sorts of platform.

Anyone know the price as well?

In terms of scenery, which ones is better? Or are they the same? Any waterfall for both sites? We never seen one before !! And it would be great to experience it with the kids.

For the activities, do they provide the same?

5. Re: Zipline recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 07:49
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zipline recommendation

Here's the link to Jungle Flight.

http://www.jungleflightchiangmai.com/

Caroline.

Co Durham
Level Contributor
338 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zipline recommendation

I've posted a link to my blog photos for Chiang Mai Zipline (hope that's ok) so you can get some idea of the scenery. One wire travelled along a huge cliff and a couple others went across the raging river below. The children were sometimes required to travel in tandem with the staff on the longer wires as you can see in some of the pictures. The staff also took all of the pictures on our camera for us!

…weebly.com/blog/more-joy-in-chiang-mai-day-4

Whichever you choose have fun!

Edited: 22 August 2014, 13:36
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zipline recommendation

We did Zipline Chiang Mai on Aug 22, 2014. http://www.ziplinechiangmai.com/

I researched all zipline places (maybe 9 of them). My kids are 19 and 17 and have ziplined before. Double check weight minimums for all of the ziplining places that you are considering; I remember that this was an issue for Hawaii ziplines. Weighing too little makes it difficult to make it to the end because there is an upwards slope at the end of a zipline.

Pros of Zipline Chiang Mai:

1. There is a small training line where the guide will show you and your kids how to brake, how to "steer" so that they are facing forward as they approach the platform, how to pull themselves along the zipline if they don't make it to the platform. You all show that they can do all of these things before you go out to the ziplines.

2. We did not have to wait for 1 second behind any groups of people on platforms. Often people complain that ziplines are basically just waiting for the crowds of people to go before it's your turn. However, we came out by hired taxi for the day and got there at 9:30 (we were the 3rd group to go thru). However, the guides said that it can get very busy in the afternoon because of the group packages which include elephant riding etc that start descending on zipline chiang mai in the afternoon.

3. The guides explain everything in detail at the beginning of each individual zipline: whether you should NOT brake , YES brake, or do what the other guide says as your are arriving at the platform. This is based on your weight. For the very long and fast ziplines, they have a double line system that keeps you stable and safe. For the very fast lines, they have an "auto" braking system for you so you don't have to brake at fast speeds. On one line, I was facing backwards and coming in a great speed (couldn't get my braking correct when facing backwards), but the guide caught me easily without me banging into anything. For your young kids, the actual biggest problem is that they are light so they might not make it all the way to the platform even without braking. The guides can go down the line and basically pull them back in if the kid can't pull themselves along. They did this for a very thin woman in the group behind us.

4. Guides are friendly and professional. They continually clip and unclip in an efficient manner, and are friendly and informative, and take great photos!

5. There are 2 rappels

6. Ziplining across the river keeps you cool when it is hot out

7. The course takes approx. 1 1/2 hrs and costs 2000 baht. They are very efficient (get you geared up quickly, do everything for you with checking all gear) and very safe. They give you VERY cold water and fruit/cookies. If you go on a tour, I presume that they pick you up in the morning and they drop you back at hotel around 1 or 1:30. (1 hr drive out, 1 hr drive back, 1.5 hr zipline, plus 1-1.5 hrs coordinating groups of people).

8. Lastly, if you want, you can hang upside down during the ziplining and rappelling. My kids did most of their ziplining either upside down or in some artistic dance pose. We rappelled both upside down and right side up.

Cons of Zipline Chiang Mai:

Absolutely none!

We didn't not do the tour but went in a hired taxi. This area of Mae Taeng has a ton of other touristy things to do such as elephant riding (on a chair with 2 people, which is probably the better way with young kids), ATV, white water rafting, etc and also is kind of near places such as tiger kingdom, snake show, crocodile show, monkey show etc all of which have pros and cons based on various research but I think that kids of that age would like most of the animal places the best (we did tiger kingdom and little kids would like snake and crocodile but it depends on how animal rights of a group your family is). For us, we did white water rafting and Chiang Dao caves on the same day as the Zipline Chiang Mai which was great, but the rapids (class 3 and 4) are too fast for kids of your age. Hope this helps. Your kids are in for a blast!!

Edited: 23 August 2014, 06:22
singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zipline recommendation

Thanks all for the helpful feedback.

For YoHoYoHo1, can I know if they provide hair net in zipline chiangmai? I assume you did the 31 platform? Was it tiring?

Chiang Mai Thailand
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zipline recommendation

totally agree with Chiang Mai zip lining ... much better value and as great of a thrill as the others and allows you to do other activities because you wrap it up in about 4 1/2 hours . Jungle flight does not have 2 sessions but rather 4 different pick up times and they are all about a 6 to 7 hour trek depending on which program you chose being "A" or "B" one having 22 platforms and the other 33 platforms to zip through and bridges to tackle etc....

Edited: 25 August 2014, 17:43