We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are they in the same direction?

Gisborne, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Are they in the same direction?

Firstly: are Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens and Doi Suthep in the same direction, if not are they far from the city centre & are there many other things to see on the way?

Secondly: Which would be best to go to:

CM; Queen Sirikits Botanical Gardens or

CR: Doi Tung Royal Project / Gardens etc.

Thanks for your help

D & A Ayleth

Thung Chang...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are they in the same direction?

Excuse me for my english...

Doi Suthep is the mountain very close to Chiang Mai, that you can see from the centre, on the west.

Worth a visit. There is a waterfall, the Phra That Doi Suthep Temple, the Bhubing Royal Palace and gardens, and Hill tribe villages..

The first village that you find few km. after the Bhubing Palace (turn left) is really touristic. The other one, Doi Pui, (turn right), is more far but nicer.

Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens is in Mae Rim, and it is very interesting (the Doi Thung Royal Project is a different kind of garden).

the link http://www.qsbg.org/

On the way to the Sirikit Garden, you can find elephant trekking, Tiger Kingdom, a smaller and private Orchid and Butterfly garden, Hill tribe villages and the Mae Sa waterfall.

About 5 km. after the Sirikit Gardens, you can find the Nong Hoi Royal project, also worth a visit.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are they in the same direction?

Just to add to the great explanation above - to get to Doi Suthep you go out of the city to the West. Not far - maybe 20 mins or so (up the mountain) to Wat Phra Doi Suthep.

To get to the Mae Rim area you go out of the city to the North.

If you hired a driver/guide you could do both in one day.

Caroline.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
337 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are they in the same direction?

You also asked for preferences - CM and Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden or CR and Doi Tung Mae Fah Luang Garden. Personally, I was a little disappointed in the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden, which is great if you want a more scientific botanical collection to view, but Doi Tung (about an hour out of Chiang Rai) has the most stunning flower garden, a fountain you can walk through, great photo opportunities, and also while you're there you can tour the Royal Villa which, although it is perhaps a strange architectural mix of Swiss chalet and Lanna styles, is very interesting - gorgeous mountain views from the verandah too.

However, also mentioned in another of your replies was Bhubing Palace and its lovely rose gardens (Jan.-Feb. is a great time to visit this one) but you are restricted to the garden here, you cannot go inside the palace. It is about 5km further up the mountain from Wat Doi Suthep. If you don't really have time to go to CR as well as CM, I would definitely choose CM and this garden.

And just in case you are a true garden lover, in CM you should not miss Ratchapruek Royal Flora Park - you will be delighted with this for sure, and will want to spend at least a couple of hours there. A little hop-on hop-off train takes you around the extensive park. Don't miss the Royal Pavilion - and the orchid house is fantastic.

Gisborne, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are they in the same direction?

Thanks, every ones input has been a great help. I know our trip isn't till Feb next year but I cant wait.

D & A

5. Re: Are they in the same direction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2015, 05:15