We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time North

Level Contributor
2,333 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
First Time North

Having visited Southern Thailand we fancy trying Chaing Mai next Dec/Jan over Xmas and New Year, a couple with a 13 year old can you please recommend a good 4/5* hotel we usually stay in Sheratons in the Far East. Where is the best location to be and is it worth visiting Chain Rai as well. How long is the flight from Bangkok and don't want to be too far from airport to hotel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Canada / Thailand
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time North

Firstly you asked for any advise!

Here is mine..

If you want the 13 year old to think the whole world is the same keep staying at Sheratons and other international chain hotels.

I can recommend that you really try for the sake of the teenager to expland your limited idea of travel and go see Northern Thailand as not everything is close to airports is worth seeing. In fact, what is? Except in Chaing mai as the airport is really in the city now. and no more than 7 minites from the Sheraton. It is about a hour flight from BKK since you asked.

Go for the unusual, go to see the realnorthern Thailand not just the chain hotels, listen to yourself and think of why you came so far, is it a tour of hotels or a culture. Real Life is not the lobby of a 4-5 star hotel.

I know it is scarry to you to leave the security of "the known" but that is what real travlers do. If you do I promise you will be thankful you did.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time North

The flight to Chiang Mai from Bangkok is about an hour. Chiang Mai is a large city in its own right, but much smaller than Bangkok. The Sheraton is close to the river, but not very convenient to the center of the city and the tourist attractions. The Amari near the airport seems like a decent hotel, but I am not interested in staying near the airport, I want to be in the city. There are an abundance of hotels in Chiang Mai, I suggest perusing some of the internet sights to determine what is best for your needs. We seek a hotel in Chiang Mai that is close to the river and night bazaar, so we have a convenient place to go in the evening.

We will make our 3rd trip to Chiang Mai in January. Unfortunately we have never gotten to Chiang Rai, or anywhere else up north. If you have the time, I would suggest going. It seems many people visit Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and the beaches, but there are interesting things to see all over the interior of Thailand.

3. Re: First Time North

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 02:18