We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picturesque Ko Samui advice needed

Pmb
5 posts
Save Topic
Picturesque Ko Samui advice needed

We are going to Ko Samui on 3 March and taking our daughter who hasn't been before. Staying on Chewang beachfront hotel, but can anyone tell me where we can go to see the really picturesque areas of the island or another island we can visit by boat? Just want to show her the real travel brochure type pics of Ko Samui i.e. palm trees, sparkling clear water , etc., and get away from the shops, bars and hustle and bustle for a day.

Anyone with any ideas would be really appreciated.

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picturesque Ko Samui advice needed

Sawadee!

I think she (and you too) will love these island (or they are actually 3 islands) Nang Yuan! Very lovely pics ;) I haven't been there, but I am going there in July. And everybody is telling how amazingly pretty this place is. take a look:

…flickr.com/24/45782328_3705727152.jpg…

…flickr.com/41/121231105_c0b2cb2681.jpg…

…flickr.com/29/58409027_4e13c8bddb.jpg…

www.flickr.com/photos/web_diko/231758758/

And there is daily catamaran boat connection (takes about 2h from samui to koh tao and from tao you need to take a small boat the nang Yuan).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picturesque Ko Samui advice needed

If you're still on the internet, here's a tip:

http://www.lipalodgeresort.com/

It’s called Lipa Lodge, the beach/town is Lipa Noi. Located on the west side of Ko Samui, where almost NO TOURISTS go, relative to the east coast that is.

Nearly all the wonderful Samui tourist nightlife is centered on the east coast of the island in the beach towns Chaweng & Lamai, which have raucous, GORGEOUS beaches & one shop, bar & international restaurant after another. Lipa is 180 degrees different: 2 of the island’s main waterfalls are within about 5 minutes, & Nathon, the “capital” of Samui is about 5 minutes up the road too, but as far as nightlife goes, you watch the sunset right into the horizon & the sky fills with rainbow colors & when it’s totally dark, you go shower, spray on insect repellant, & bring a CD to the dining hall. The grounds are INCREDIBLY lush & varied & are just as beautiful by night as by day, tastefully lit & very well-tended.

When I stayed there for 6 wks in 1993 it had no pool, A/C or TV & t’was the only resort in Lipa Noi; now there’s another one, called Big John’s I & II. I hear it’s cheaper but we visited it & weren’t impressed, it seemed crowded & too many kids, like on the east coast; most of the people using Lipa Lodge’s GORGEOUS infinity pool were day-tripping from Big John’s! In fact, it seemed like just about everyone at our pool was staying elsewhere on the island, coming by jeep or motorbike & paying the 100 baht to chill-ax & enjoy the planet’s best pool & sunset. Among other features, there’s 2 palm trees that grow out right over the water!

Lipa Lodge has a large, open, covered pavilion for dining & activities; the food is EXCELLENT. The pretty, fine-golden-sand beach itself is very narrow; the water is extremely shallow ~ u can walk straight out for a minute & it still won’t reach your knee ~ no snorkeling there. But the sand underfoot is extremely smooth & clean!!!! You can use Lipa’s kayak or just go splash around, but with the pool right there, really, going into the water is pretty moot. There are 2 of those neat “waterfall” showers but it’s not very salty anyway.

As mentioned on the website, All rates are exclude 7% Government tax, which is standard, but fortunately they don’t charge the additional 10% standard at most hotels as well, so you could say Lipa Lodge is 10% cheaper < ; For breakfast, u can choose a pancake with bananas or pineapple baked right into it yummmmm! The staff is prompt & helpful but not too touchy-feely. The Thai owner, Tony, lives on site w/his teenage daughter.

The bungalows are far more spacious than necessary, with nice furniture & plumbing & cool, tiled floors; the verandas are large w/nice teak chairs/tables & little spray-spigots to wash your feet if necessary. The only noise is from the geckos, or, if u don’t use the A/C, the sound of the nighttime surf ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh The TV channels aren’t that exciting, but we didn’t even care. We were either taxi’ing over to Lamai or Chaweng, or sleeping, eager to wake up the next morning & start another gorgeous, wonderful day of peace.

* enjoy *

3. Re: Picturesque Ko Samui advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 17:21