We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lamai seedy

liverpool
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lamai seedy

i am looking to book into rockys in Lamai but have been put off by some reports of men picking up women and seedy nightlife, we will have our daughter with us who is 12 and obviously do not want to subject her to that. we stayed in chaeweng at the buri rasa last year and would have stayed again only as she is 12 it works out a bit expensive for a bigger room type . any help?

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lamai seedy

There are a few places where I would not take a 12 year old,but overall the area is quite reasonable, its not a pick up area for westerners. I am not speaking from experience when I say this but I get the immpression that guys with thai girls have mostly brought them with them, perhaps from BKK.

My wife and I were there last year, It did get up my wife nose to see so many pensioners with young girls sometimes, but if you stay around the better resorts and are not out at some of the bars late at night I'd say you and your family would enjoy the area, its no Pattaya or Patong. Its rather nice and not in your face. No massage palour or that kind of thing, but there is a few bars that I'd avoid, you'll recognise them on sight and know to steer clear.

Its a lot quieter than Chaeweng area.

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lamai seedy

Would also like to add ... if you have not booked anything. There is a nice little resort thats quite central called Golden Sands, I don't know if they have a website, but have a google.

We stayed there, the place was very nice and comfortable and it is right on the beach, good security and nothing untoward that you would want to expose a child to.

Its rather nice really, lovely breakfast included in the price as well. Small cabana style accomodation but I think they also had larger rooms in the main block around reception.

Its a nice island with quite a few places to see, Iwe have been to Phuket etc and its not on the same scale.

I hope you visit and enjoy, we did.

liverpool
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lamai seedy

thanks so much i was getting a bit worried

im sure we will have a good time, and i willl certainly have a google at that hotel

sue

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lamai seedy

Lamaii is no seedier than Chaweng regarding the s#x thing. Its a little more obvious on the beach road at lamai but not much. I have to say that any 12 year-old visiting Thailand is bound to see an "eye-opener" or three!!

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Lamai seedy

I gotta agree with Gas.In Lamai the bars with the "undesirable activities"that you are trying to avoid are more in the open than Chaweng where they tend to be down side streets but they are pretty even in the amount of them & what goes on.

I`m guessing that with a 12 yr old your not going to be out that late anyway & a lot of the nightlife action doesn`t start till say 10pm so in my opinion not really a concern for you as it can be easily avoided but Gas is right, i`d be surprised if your daughter didn`t see something over the couse of your trip that will get her asking questions, hell i`m 42 & been there 6 times & I see things that get me asking questions LOL!!!.

Enjoy

Jamie

liverpool
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Lamai seedy

As always a good reply Jamie . Not to forget, we live in a major city in England and she probably knows as much as i do about most things! The reason we want to take her is to experience a culture other than a european one . Sounds like she may do that in bucket fulls. We rarely stay out past 10 with her anyway ( i am normally ready for my bed by then) thanks to,all who replied

EOD
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Lamai seedy

Hi Jaymafash...I enjoyed Lamai a great deal, in part, because of the lack of overbearing "fun" industry. Chaweng, although much more overt, just got boring after a couple days....not to mention noisy, smelly and dirty.

With regard to traveling with a 12-year old, perhaps Thailand is precisely the type of place you should go. It is important for children to learn about life on the other side of the planet. Part of my childhood was spent in Indonesia and Curacao and my parents always took us along to interesting and exciting places. Haiti still stands apart as one of those amazing trips. These experiences helped shape my view of the world and general lifestyle today and couldn't thank my parents enough for that.

By all means, leave the fear of what your daughter will see at home. I'm sure she's seen more than you know already.

8. Re: Is Lamai seedy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 01:19