We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

be cautious using the cash machines.

london
Level Contributor
403 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
be cautious using the cash machines.

hello there,just a word of warning me and some friends were in samui back in november and whilst we were out there me and another friend had our cash cards cloned.

the only way that could of happened is at a cash point machine as they even had our pin numbers.we never used our cards to pay hotel,resturant bills so there was no chance of any rourue worker copying the card.

funny thing is that we arrived back in the uk at the end of november and my friends card didnt get used till the beginning of january and they had him for 600 uk pounds that was withdrawn from atm's in malaysia and last week my card got used in bangkok over a 3 day period and got done for 860 uk pounds. thats when we twigged that we both must of got done on samui.

so when using any cash machines make sure you use your other hand to shield the keypad when putting in your pin.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: be cautious using the cash machines.

They've had a rash of that here in Southern California. The "bandits" slip a specaial card reader over the normal one on the ATM. So when you slip your card in, the ATM still reads it, but also the "bandits" reader grabs all the information from magnetic card. These special readers blend in to the ATM, and most people don't notice them.

Then the bandits sit across the streat and use a camera with a high zoom to capture the pin as you enter it in.

However, since most ATM cards now double as Vista/MC debit cards, a lot of the thieves aren't even bothering to steal the pins. They just use the info from the magnetic stripe to make a clone to use as a debit card, no pin required.

2. Re: be cautious using the cash machines.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 14:22