We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito

Berkshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
mosquito

Any one heard if much trouble with mosquitos. Going June bit worries. should take tables or not.

essex
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquito

I got bit alive and that was with spray as well,Taking vitamin b and garlic capsuals.I had the jabs before we went away last year when we went somewhere else.Better to be safe than sorry if you have time to have them.At my gp they were free too.Had the hep A and typiod.Also check your tetnus and polio is up to date.I never normally get biten.So I guess you never know.I think it was sand flys that got me.The thing is it is such a moist heat and they have had alot of rain so the mosquitos love it.Best way is to wear linen trousers at night so they can't get you or just take the gamble.But i have been home 3 weeks so got biten 5 weeks ago and still got the scares or bruise looking marks so they are not going away quickly.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito

Thanks for the reply what about the malaria tablets did you take them.

Keerbergen, Belgium
Level Contributor
239 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito

If you are not planning to go into the jungle, I wouldn't take them.

I took them the first time I went to Thailand, the next time I didn't. I had no problems whatsoever.

I have been to Samui in July/August 2 years ago. Mosquitos do appear at night, be sure to take lotion with you. You should be fine when you use special one against tropical mosquitos!

Koh Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito

Hi,

There's a difference between having mossies and having a malaria problem. I've lived here for a year now and still haven't heard of anyone who has got malaria (even though they have been bitten a fair bit).

That's not to say nobody ever gets it of course, but my opinion on balance is you'll do yourself more harm taking the medication.

Lou

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquito

Hi

sand flies can carry the parasite Leishmania vicerale donavani infantum, more commonly known as Kala azar and more difficult to treat than Malaria and theres no vaccine against it,but on saying that you would have to be extremely unlucky to get it, unfortunatly I was one of the unlucky ones, but I probably picked it up in Vietnam not samui.

Manicus

Ireland
Level Contributor
248 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquito

Hi samui lou, just wondering if you could elaborate on what you mean about the medication doing more harm than good? Im going later this year, do you think it is better not to take any medication? Also what do you think about someone going to samui for 2 weeks the 7th-22nd october?

Barry

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquito

Hi BazDown again

Some people can experience some bad side affects to the medication even months after, and its not a 100% guarantee that you wont still get it, to be honest never heard of anybody getting Malaria in Thailand, Laos/Cambodia more at risk. I live in the north of holland in an are called waterland lots of

rivers etc, in summer it gets infested with mozzies and they bite big.

Manicus

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquito

Hi BazDown again

Some people can experience some bad side affects to the medication even months after, and its not a 100% guarantee that you wont still get it, to be honest never heard of anybody getting Malaria in Thailand, Laos/Cambodia more at risk. I live in the north of holland in an are called waterland lots of

rivers etc, in summer it gets infested with mozzies and they bite big.

Manicus

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
750 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquito

Hi we have just got back from Ko Samui

We had Hep A & B Typhiod and Tenus Polio my doctor said we didn't need anything else

Re Mosquito's I followed TA advise and bought Jaico---Boots in Bangkok

We went on Safari trips back water river trips etc I am usually a feast for them but this trip only got 2 in the local coffee shop in the morning we only used it when we were going out in the evening and of couse on trip .My husband I think got a couple and both my son's maybe one or two each.

Was it Jaico or my Grapefruit Body Wash & lotion from Body Shop I dont know but this is the first time I have had NO bites.Ieven get them locally in the Summer go figger.But not one of us came home loking like Chicken Pox

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,746 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquito

I was advised that malaria tablets aren't required for Ko Samui or Bangkok and if I thought there was any risk of malaria I would have taken them (I always taken them for Goa though not everybody does). I did use insect repellant with 50% deet though we didn't see that many mozzies when we were there in February.