We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champagne

Manchester
Level Contributor
224 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Champagne

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend how to go about buying Champagne i've been told that the hotel we're getting married at will allow us to bring a few bottles and charge corkage, with the liquid restrictions now in place will it not be possible to buy at duty free and bring into bangkok then an internal flight down to Samui??????

Can we buy champagne anywhere on Ko samui and how much!

Any advice greatly appreciated

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Champagne

You should go to wholesalers. Try Wine Cellar opposite Big C or BB&B in Samui Town Center building, plus there are many others.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Champagne

There was no problem bringing duty free Champagne here when I arrived - provided it is in the sealed bag provided on purchase. Has something changed? You can get three bottles in one bag so provided your are strong then a dozen between you????

I also pack 3 or 4 bottles in each suitcase wrapped in my clothes and have never had an accident.

You could ask your guests to bring a couple of bottles each too.

Champagne is readily available in all super markets and wine stores but it is very expensive. A bottle of Moet is around 5000 bhat (tax not profiteering) so probably to be avoided unless you are loaded.

If you are interested in a compromise then PM me and I will give you contacts for a decent (Thailand wise) Prosecco or Ozzie Fizz available from wholesalers for around 600 - 800 baht).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Champagne

The carry on liquid limit was in force in june on domestic flights in thailand.

If you are going to BKK first you may have trouble carrying on your duty free on the domestic flight to Samui.

In june I got off an international flight from Perth in Phuket and went streight to domestic with duty free bag intact and was told I could not take it onboard even though I had not left the airport and the clear dutyfree bag was sealed with customs tape from Australia.

I argued the point and after a more official type joined in I was eventualy alowed to take it with me.

The people at the xray machines are as much in the dark about the liquid limit rules as most passengers!

If you leave the airport in BKK for a day or two you will have no chance of getting on the plane with it unless they change the rules to suit themselves.

Den

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Champagne

Apologies - did not read your post correctly. If you are disembarking in Bangkok I would think you would be stuffed.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Champagne

Oh but of course you can risk packing it in your checked luggage.........

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Champagne

a friend just attended a wedding and had guests carry 2-3, 4 bottles each of wine, champagne etc in their checked in luggage. all bottles of wine and champagne went through

but just in case, if they get caught, ask your guest to simply tell that it is for a wedding party, and give one away to customs as goodwill.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Champagne

"gestures of goodwill" have to take the form of readies here.

nottingham
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Champagne

Hi

we recently got married at the faraway villa. We bought 6 bottles of champagne duty free at birmingham airport and they were in sealed bags - 9 we were travelling in a large party). We took them through Dubai airport and onto Bangkok no problem. We then had a four day stop n Bangkok and took them in our checked luggage to koh samui without any problems. We were warned that they had to be in checked lugguage otherwise they might be confiscated at Bangkok so don't know if this would work if you were travelling straight through.

the 6 bottles of lanson cost £99 at birming as opposed to the rough quote i had of £50 per bottle in koh samui.

Have a great time!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Champagne

If you check them in on your domestic route, put them in a seperate bag or box with packing material and have it taped "Fragile Glass handle with care",excess baggage is not that expensive!

I wouldnt risk it in with my cloths when you see the way they throw the cases on and off the plane.

Den

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Champagne

Depends what suitcase you have...Good old Samsonite always does the job :-)