We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What order to visit Islands??

Louth
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What order to visit Islands??

Hi there!

Myself and my boyfriend are planning 2 weeks in Thailand in September and are a somewhat stumped at what order to visit the islands and we hope you might be able to help.

We arrive in Bangkok at 7am on Sunday 13th September after a 12 hour journey and are due to fly home from there at 2am on Saturday 27th September.

We hope to split our time between Bangkok (2-3 days max) and the remainder between Koh Samui and Koh Tao for some diving.

Does anybody have any recommendation on how we should approach this?

Ie. Should we stay one night in Bangkok first to get used to things and then go straight to tao and back through samui, or should we go straight to samui when we get off the flight.... Or would you reccomend something else entirely?

Any help in this regard would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Kerrie

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What order to visit Islands??

Hi Kerrie,

I've done the trip twice and going again in Dec. If I were you, I'd go straight down to Samui from your flight to Bangkok. Its only another hour and it beats getting a taxi into the city, unpacking etc, only to return again a few days later.

Spend some time there relaxing and getting used to the climate etc then Koh Tao from there to do your diving. What about Ko Phangan too? They're both a ferry ride form Samui, easy to get to.

Leave bangkok till the end as you can shop then, without worrying about hauling extra stuff down to the islands, on/off ferries etc And also, you know how the finances are going at the end and can blow anything you've got left in the city!!

Hope this helps, have fun B

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What order to visit Islands??

That's a good answer. Just make sure you do see Bangkok, leave at least 2-3 days for that, it's a great city but you need to discover it. If you can afford it - stay on a Chao Praya river in Oriental , Peninsula, Marriot or Shangri La...it's stunning and they all have free shuttle to the Skytrain station, so you won't need to be stuck in crazy traffic jams in bangkok. Plus you can easiy go by boat to the Grand Palace which is so much better then drive there. And Grand Palace is one of must see things.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What order to visit Islands??

I like your choice of hotels Elina but they are rather top end for Bangkok.

As long as you choose an hotel close to a skytrain station you can get to the river quite easily.Buy a day ticket for the ferry and you can visit all the attractions getting on and off as many times as you like.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What order to visit Islands??

Agree with you, they are not cheap, still hell of a lot cheaper than Mandarin Oriental in London but I don't know what their budget is..you never know...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What order to visit Islands??

I have always found that if I do BKK last then I dont do much as I am in holiday mode by the time I get there and too relaxed.

I like to do at least 3 nights in BKK when I get to Thailand then at least 1 night on the way home for last min shopping.

Den

6. Re: What order to visit Islands??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 03:16