We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KOh samui- who best to make formal dress

Brisbane, QLD
1 post
Save Topic
KOh samui- who best to make formal dress

Im going to Koh Samui in september staying at Chaweng Beach and i just want to know if there is any really good dress makers as i am wanting to get my year 12 formal dress made. If you know any good ones please let me know...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KOh samui- who best to make formal dress

I read that there was a good one along Chewang but cant remember.

If you find a tailor you feel comfortable with make sure you give youself plenty of time to get it made.

Do it as soon as you arrive.

Some tailors/dressmakers have a real hard time understanding the type of fashion you want in the fabric you want,so if they do it wrong you need the time to get it changed to how you want it.

Some Thai tailors are exelent,some are not,but they can all copy an item almost exact if they have it in there hands.From a photo or sketch they seem to have no idea of good to bad.

Most people find a tailor they like and trust and they are cheap.

This trip I didnt have enough time to get to my regular tailor so i got my old suit copied by one that was really cheap,it turned out great.

Most tailors will measure you up show you the fabric and then its sent to a sweat shop to be made, you have usually 2 fittings where you get it altered if you need.

Give yourself 3 days minimum but better if its a lot longer.

Den

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: KOh samui- who best to make formal dress

The Tailor attached to the Amari Palm Reef Resort on the northern end of Chaweng is very good, (at least with mens suites) He made me three suits, cashmere/silk blend in 4 days. The cut was excellent and price embarrasing. If you have a picture of the design of the dress you want take it with you and he will make a replica.

Coffs

wollongong
Level Contributor
53 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KOh samui- who best to make formal dress

cofs, how much did you pay for your suits? just want to get an idea of what is a reasonable price to barter. Cheers, Renee

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KOh samui- who best to make formal dress

You can get a copy suit made for around $70 if you bargain but when you start to bargain too much the material gets cheaper.

The last suit I had made from my own design in Cashmear was $130 Au 3 years ago but i also had extra pants made and 2 shirts so the price comes down the more you have made.

This was in Pattaya though from a tailor who already had my measurments from previose trips.

If you use the tailor in chewang mentioned then choose your fabric before bargaining a price.

The right tailor/dressmaker can do an outstanding job for the price paid.

Remember this is for your year 12 formal and may never be worn again so it wont have to be made in hard wearing expensive cloth like some bussines suits need to be.

Den

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: KOh samui- who best to make formal dress

Colvalea, if you use the tailor I used you won't be bartering. He's not like the cheap tailors with touts out the front of the shops harrassing you to come inside. His prices are pretty much set...but you get what you pay for. Two pairs of trousers, 1 jacket and 1 shirt will cost approx $200 AUD. I only use his best quality fabrics. The same items retailed at home would cost around $700.

You should be able to get a very nice gown tailored for around $150.

Hope this helps.

Coffs

6. Re: KOh samui- who best to make formal dress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 18:20