We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Topic
KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

I am in a bit of a dilemna. 50 year old Dad and 16 year old son. I want peace and beauty, with great beaches. He wants excitement and fun. I am looking for a situation that provides peace and beauty with the excitement of Chaweng, (or the excitement of the main town on Pha nang) just a walk or cab ride away (under ten minutes).

Want to spend less than $80/US a night. any recommendations.

I had thought of splitting my time between Sunset Cove in Pha nang and then Tradewinds in Koi Samui. I know nothing about these hotels but they were hightly rated on Trip Advisor.

Love some thoughts.

Bart in San Francisco.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

Hi Bart,

Please don't go to Sunset Cove. The poor 16yr old will be bored silly. There's absolutely nothing to do and the beach is very poor. One day is enough there. There are only one or two places to eat. I was there in Dec and was very disappointed. I dont know how it has been rated so well. I wonder where else these people have been! B

samui
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

Suggest the Long Beach Lodge - a place in Chaweng next to Chaweng Buri, just opposite McDonalds with Tropical Murphys at their corner. The beach is great, fun is not far. There is no booking site - ask the taxi driver to bring you. The owner Somchai is a very decent guy.

Koh Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

Try somewhere in north Chaweng - it is reasonably quiet (but not at all secluded) and the beach is beautiful, but is only a 10-minute cab ride away from all the life in central Chaweng. Try the Tango or Corto (or if you decide to raise your budget: the Nora Beach Resort, Coral Bay Resort or the newly-opened Bhundari).

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

I've read that there is not very good swiimming in North Chaweng Beach. Is this true. I will be there in March.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

Go to both and judge yourself!

Phangan is so easy to get to from Samui that you will have no problems.

Spend some time at Haad Rin on Phangan and tour the island from there. Out of FMP the beach can be nice and peaceful.

If you have thoughts of splitting the holiday and dont then you will be disappointed!

If you do split time between Samui and Phangan then you will not be disappointed!

We split last year and was glad we did.

Depends on how long you are going for but I would pay for a hotel on Samui on arrival and for when you return from Phangan,then just arrive on phangan and pick a hotel you fancy and pay for it when there.

Personally I preferred Phangan to Samui but it all depends what kind of holiday you are looking for.

6. Re: KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2009, 10:47
7. Re: KoSamui vs Ko Pha Nang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 13:19