We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

SG
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Topic
six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

hi - we're committed to six senses for end april/may.

1) is this a good time to go in terms of weather and prices? we booked directly and got 15Kbaht per night (which is about $420 USD i think) well we've booked already but would appreciate any comparisons/advice

2) more importantly, i read some reviews about the villa privacy/views, and i asked for a sea view, but the nice man at reservations said ALL the hideaway villas don't hv sea views and only have garden views. the only way to get a sea view is to get a pool view. the hideaway villa 360-degree view on their web page (i checked after making the booking) does show a sea view, so i'm going to ask again tomorrow, but i was wondering if anyone has anything else to add to this in the mean time. if you've stayed in a hideaway villa, did you get one with a sea view?

thanks for any response/advice, ..

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

Your rate sounds very good for this hotel so don't worry about that. April to May is normally fine (tropical island no guarantees) but can be very hot. I stayed in a Hideaway villa once and it had a partial sea view but it was via a pool villa which I could see right into unless the guest closed the blinds. We felt better off in the Hideaway cos nobody could see us. If you are not happy with your first room ask if there is another - this hotel is geared towards keeping you happy and I can't imagine them not giving you options if they are available.

France Paris
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

i've been to six senses hideaway villa in north kho samui.

it s a new resort open in 2006 or 2007...it's a nice place but i think villas are too close from each other..the area is very decliv...

and all the services are pretty expensive.

I personaly prefere a very close ressort, the tongsai bay...with a private beach and some very nice private villas( from 501 to 508) with private pool, the spa is very nice at real affordable rates...

food is also nice.

but both places are nice...

817/FtWorth
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

This place has a lot of work to do, in order to hold a 5 Star rating, or 4. The management has some serious issues. Typical, Western judge-mental, read-a-book-by-the-cover attitudes towards their guests, as if your money is different from another guest's. Of course quick to try and kiss your rear as you leave, while others are checking in. We were treated as 2nd hand guests by management, several different times during our 5 day stay. While we watched others, being treated the same, and others being treated as if they were the owners.

I am/will have a full review up by month end on this place, and our experience. We stayed in Nov '08 for our 10 year Anniversary-& they knew it. They merely insulted me, by the time I left, by p/u by The Library's Lexus. I left a letter of complaint. They did send me a coupon to stay 3 nights free at any Six Senses, but I will decline the use of the coupon.

Good luck with your stay.

SG
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

omg... very scared now. with your post + the insurgency thing that just happened, i don't know if we should just try to find another locale - i was deciding between samui and boracay actually.

i look forward to your review. i know there have been bad ones for six senses, but we decided to take a risk with them seeing as they were voted "best in the world" by conde nast traveler 2008...

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

BE REASSURED. Six Senses Hideaway is not new as a previous poster said but an established hotel - I stayed there in 2004 so unless it was a figment of my imagination.... the confusion may be it was called the Sila Evason. It has its quirks but none of them need put you off. I live on Samui six months a year and eat at Dining on the Hills (the less formal restaurant) regularly and as well as beautiful views it serves great food. The staff are lovely and the rooms are comfortable. I have stayed there twice and had a perfect time. How long is your visit? If it is more than five days then you may need some options of things to do but again no problem - just pm me. The communal pool is a delight and because most rooms have private pools you can commonly have it to yourself. Don't despair about coming here - it is heaven.

SG
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

hi fleetcat, thank you for your reply.

our stay is for 4 days, and honestly all we want to do is get massaged a lot (spa or at the usual traditional thai places in town, anywhere good?), sleep on the beach, and eat a lot at the hawker stalls or the local street places. i want to do a short elephant trek and some kayakking but that's still under negotiation haha... i did post asking for recs on dishes to try, you would be the perfect candidate to suggest something i reckon :) what dishes are "true thai cuisine" ?

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

Oh heck (I suspect not so) Geriatric Jane. Six Senses is a slightly remote, very beautiful and very expensive hideaway. You can be massaged within an inch of your life here but it is quite pricey. If you want beach massages and street food you will need to leave the resort. Easy - Choengmon is 5 minute taxi ride (around 200 baht) and Chaweng another 10 mins further(300 baht). I suspect however you may not want to leave. If you do again PM me and I will give you a great taxi driver and loads of recommendations.

SG
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

oh yes we plan to leave the resort- will be renting a car. have pm-ed you.

SG
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

hi just wanted to update re: the villa since others might be wondering about which villa to choose as well, for six senses. this might help.

i got a free upgrade to a pool villa (had booked a hideaway) - they didn't inform us until we entered the villa actually - it was villa 48. the view is good (sea view), and there seems to be privacy re: the bathroom sitution as far as i could tell. i've seen people say that you can look right into other villa bathrooms (?), but for ours there was a bamboo roofing/slatting thing so i don't see how thats possible. the villa on the left could probably look right into our pool area though, but i guess that's fine.

had a good time in samui. best thing about six senses IMO is the restaurant dining on the rocks. it's hypermodern style (ish, i think). we went twice. try the advanced royal thai massage at the six senses spa - ow ow but good.

not sure if this is unusual but it was morbidly hot and humid while i was there. i think the problem (if any) was that there wasn't any breeze. that changed the day we left so i think that it was just a few odd days.

thanks fleet for your list also.

10. Re: six senses: all hideaway villas no sea view?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 06:25