We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samui

West Midlands
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Samui

I am going on holiday to Thailand (Ko Samui) from the 27th November to the 6th December. I am staying at the Sala Samui resort which I understand is wonderful but what else is there to do and see while I am there. I have never been before and although I can't wait to relax in the resort I would like to see some of the island and any attractions. I would also like to know about any of the restaurants that are local to the resort and any recommendations.

Thailand
Level Contributor
526 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Samui

Sala Samui is indeed a good choice. Rest of the attraction all depend on the weather a bit, which is known to be more wet than normal during your stay.

Go around the island for a day or two, discover other beaches, some local sights. Take a trip to neighboring islands if weather permits. As for restaurants there are pleny to choose from. Get a dining guide when you arrive and you will be spoilt. Just relax and enjoy !

Melbourne
Level Contributor
471 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Samui

Hi Lilly

We were at Sala Samui recently and had a great time.

Within walking distance we loved Bongoes on the Choeng Mon Beach, the food at the hotel is also great.

Would also recommend a visit to Bophut Fishermans Village where the Happy Elephant is very good, there are also a lot of good bars there as well.

Would also spend a day sailing on the Kia Ora (www.kiaorathailand.com).

Best Wishes

Robert

Manchester
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Samui

Hi Lily,

Me and my boyfriend are also going around the same time (but not till next year). YOu will have to let me know what it was like and what the weather is like as hopefully the rains should be beginning to stop!!!

Leicester
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Samui

To be honest, Samui is a tourist beach island and that about it. There is a waterfall, but if you have been to waterfalls before you wont be impressed. The things to "do" alternate between the beach and the bars. I persaonly dont understand its popularity as the only reason to be there is to chill on the beach, but if you are going to travel thousands of miles, there are beaches a lot better in other parts of thailand

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Samui

Sormy69, where are the best beaches in Thailand in your opinion?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Samui

Weather note: Rains do not stop in November/early December

usually. Rain can be expected until early january as a rule,though it is not raining all the time. agree with comments about Samui - nothing to attract except beaches/bar. what is the best beach? some would say it's not a good beach unless it has 5-star resorts,bars aplenty e.t.c. Not my idea of a good beach. For the adventurous, take a three hour boat trip from Ranong in southern Thailand and get off at an island called Koh Pa Yam - Samui thirty years ago!!

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Samui

My idea of the perfect beach would be soft white sand and crystal clear water which was suitable for swimming in. Which beach in Thailand would best fit that description? It's a bit late for our next trip and i've pre-paid for all of our accommodation in Koh Samui. However, I'll bear it in mind for next time.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Samui

Ah, the 64 million dollar question. Which is the best beach for...

e.t.c. That is a really difficult question to answer unless you give more info about what you want APART from the crystal clear water for swimming. Overall,thinking between the lines,

I'd go for Thong Nai Pan on Koh Phan Gan island, or perhaps

phra nang beach in Krabi (though that beach has only one ridiculously expensive resort), there are many places to stay on Railay beach , a five minute walk away.