We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Is it best to bring US $ or Pounds sterling?

Which are we likely to get the best rate on?

Many thanks

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Just bring your ATM card and use the ATM's,they are everywhere.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,191 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

I don't think it will make much difference if you convert Pounds sterling or US dollars into baht. But you will need baht for purchases and paying taxis. Pick up some small notes, don't expect small shops or taxis to have change for large 500 or 1000 baht notes.

You can Google "Currency Conversion," there are several currency converters that are available. You can use one of their charts to compare the two currencies.

Some credit cards have small fees, some have ridiculously high fees for ATM use overseas. Check with your credit card company for the fee they charge per ATM use. Avoid small withdrawals, especially if you (like me) have one of those high "per transaction" fees. You will also get at least 2 months of interest for your ATM charges too! Take out enough money from an ATM to last a week or so. You can store the excess cash in the security box provided by most hotels.

I like Travellers Checks. I get them free from my credit union. Many credit unions will issue TC's free for their members. The fee for cashing a TC is only 33 baht per check. If you go with Travelers Checks go with the largest denominations to save the "per check" fee. Any excess Thai baht can be converted back to your home currency at the airport after you pass through immigration.

I record the TC check numbers, and any other important information that I might need (like e-tickets) on the internet in an e-mail to myself. If they are stolen or lost I can get them replaced if I have the serial numbers.

You do have to hold 500 baht for a departure tax paid just before immigration, after getting your boarding pass.

AL

london
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

no need to bring USD, just take Sterling. As the previous poster said there are loads of ATM's so you can draw extra cash on debit cards if necessary

reno
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Just use the ATM and credit cards. be sure and check out what kind of fees both charge. I went to my credit union and got a low fee card, just for travel. Changing currency, one for another, is a waste of money, as are travelers checks. Traveler`s checks are outdated, and most savy travelers don`t use them. When I was in Croatia in sept, nobody wanted to take traveler`s checks. It`s hard not to find a ATM wherever you go. I usually just use the ATM at the airport.