We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 months pregnant - Clean places to eat in Bangkok and Samui

Melbourne
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
6 months pregnant - Clean places to eat in Bangkok and Samui

Hello,

We're off to to Thailand for our babymoon (well trip was booked before we found out). We're visiting Bangkok and Samui (Chaweng) and wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and what you did to make sure you didn't get food poisoning, or if you can recommend clean places to eat, perhaps what foods to order?

Mainly concerned because of the bub on the way, otherwise would just use 'common sense'!

Chicago
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 months pregnant - Clean places to eat in Bangkok and Samui

First of all, I am a guy so take my advice accordingly. My recommendation is that if possible, you visit Tesco Lotus stores (they are like Walmart or Carre Four sp) and buy from there. Try, if you can, to prepare as much food for yourself as possible (you can rent apts for 2 or 3 night for same price as hotel room)

Hygiene is questionable in many places. The places I had issues are western vbrands (McDs, Burger King). I have not gotten sick eating at Thai places. But McDs made me sick 2 times. If you are going to eat out, here are some tips:

A. Avoid buffets where things have been sitting all day.

B. Fancy, sit down place should be patronized when they are busy. The slower the time, the slacker the standards.

C. Order SPICY. I have heard spicy chilis counteract nasty bacterias/bugs.

D. The more touristy the area, the slacker the standards. Why: cause owners know they will get customers no matter what. I spend a month in Thailand and each time i needed to eat, I would go as FAR away from the tourist area. Prices were better, hygeine better, attitude better

E. Tell people you are pregnant (if you are comfortable). They will take extra care.

Edited: 07 February 2011, 21:55
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 months pregnant - Clean places to eat in Bangkok and Samui

Hi there. I have been to Thailand many times (probably spent 4 mths there in total) and have only ever gotten sick once. It was after eating at a high end place so price and what somewhere looks like is not an indication of quality.

Our last trip we were there for 2 weeks with our 13 year old daughter. None of us had even a tiny twinge of any tummy troubles and we ate from places like Ninjas (super cheap) to much more expensive. We ate lots of chicken dishes (curries, salads etc) and also seafood. I probably would steer clear of shellfish but otherwise fish should be OK . Most places have them in iceboats and you can choose which one you would like and they will cook it how you like. Look for freshness (clear eyes, fresh fishy smell)and shiny skin) and then at least you know it has been cooked fresh.

Also look for places that have a high turnover of customers as they don't; have the food sitting there for days. I think you should be fine and it will be a lovely holiday before your world changes dramatically! In the nicest possible way :-)

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 months pregnant - Clean places to eat in Bangkok and Samui

travelled too while pregnant so can sympathise with your query. honestly same foods you'd avoid here do so over there. soft serve icecream, soft cheese, ham/processed meats, raw seafood.

Stick to Thai cuisine and you'll be fine. cooked food is fine. eat fruit you can peel or doesn't need to be washed - papaya, pineapple, watermelon, banannas are everywhere. Honestly Thailand and the places you're visiting are tourist areas so should be fine.

Highly recommend Nija Crepe resturant in Chaweng great cheap eats, it's down near Centara resort.

corn off the carts on the beach are great too! just remember as long as it's hot it's fine. Drink plenty of water and coke - not diet. coke has sodium and sugar which you will need as you're going to be feeling the heat.

4. Re: 6 months pregnant - Clean places to eat in Bangkok and Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 05:16