We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elections - what will be open?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Elections - what will be open?

Have just heard that elections on 3rd July will mean that bars will be closed on 2nd & 3rd.

In Chaweng, will we be able to get a meal in a restaurant on those days or will they be closed too?

Will 7/11s continue to sell alcohol throughout the 2nd & 3rd or should we stock up on 1st?

Thanks very much!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elections - what will be open?

Restaurants will be open.Stock up on the 1st..

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Elections - what will be open?

No one is allowed to sell alcohol during that period.

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elections - what will be open?

Is this for the whole country?

I will be in Chiang Mai for all these dates. Will I be affected if I want to have a drink with a meal etc?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Elections - what will be open?

yes... this apply through out the country.... restaurants and 7-11 will be opened as usual .... but bars and night clubs will be closed and no alcohol should be sold on those 2 days ..... You may stocked it up first would be best for you....

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elections - what will be open?

Thanks very much to everyone for their replies! I suspect the 7/11s will do a roaring trade on 1st! Let's hope they've stocked up! :-)))

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elections - what will be open?

does this apply to hotels as well?

Thank you!

surattani
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Elections - what will be open?

Re. elections and bar closing I think you will find that the law says that NO alcohol is to be sold or bought from ANY venue any where in Thaiand from 6pm on the date before the election date up to midnight of the elections. This also goes for the early elections the week prior. "Any venue" means what it says. If restaurants, 7/11, Mom and Pop minimarts sell alcohol, they are breaking the law as is the person buying. Having said that, this is Thailand and I know that you will find many places still selling beer. "Money number one"

I have been running bars in Thailand for many years and hear this same story every election.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Elections - what will be open?

Yes correct. No alcohol sales anywhere.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elections - what will be open?

Question Guys: why? What is the reason behind this law?

10. Re: Elections - what will be open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 08:18