We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash and cards!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
698 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Cash and cards!

Hey everyone!

I know this has been a common q on ta and I gave researched alot of posts but still have a few questions of my own!

Visiting hk, Bangkok & samui in July and will be bringing about £800 each to spend for the 2 weeks. Now obviously we don't want to bring this much in cash and thought of t/c's but after reading the forums people aren't so keen and advise against it so.... We will probably bring half in cash and the rest keep in our accounts and withdraw from ATMs but our bank at home charges £1.50 per transaction so we will want to keep withdrawing to a minimum, can anyone tell me if there are any charges from the ATMs we use in samui to withdraw or is there a commission? Or is it only the charge from our bank we will be debited??

Thanks guys :)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash and cards!

All of the ATM's have a 150B charge. I think there are a couple that don't charge but there are only a few on the island. We used to take about 10,000B out at a time and put what we weren't using into our hotel safe.

Even though you do get charge to use the ATM's, I think it is worth it for not having to carry large amounts of cash around.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 13:32
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash and cards!

Hi

Yes there will be a £3 charge from the thai bank, plus your own bank charges . . . . . . we just make sure that when we use our ATM we take out the max' we can! Do let you bank know so they don't stop your card!! Plus do take a phone number just in case.

For us its totally worth it!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
698 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash and cards!

Yeah was thinkin the same.. At the same time though I imagine it will be safe enough in the hotel safe. Will just take out max we can to avoid alot of charges as it will be approx £4.50 to withdraw. Thanks for ur help :-)

North Wales
Level Contributor
218 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash and cards!

Look into getting a CaxtonFX Global Card.

I have just got mine and planning to use it next week having used their Dollar Card in America.

Just put money from your account onto this card and take out money whenever you want. They don't charge for any withdrawals, however you will have to pay the Thai ATM charge but it's still cheaper than using a normal bank card.

Also, it's free, (it costs £10 to get the card but they immediately put that back onto your new account) and they offer good exchange rates.

Check them out...

www.caxtonfxcard.com/cards_description.asp…

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash and cards!

Have a look at the Halifax Clarity card. They offer "free" cash withdrawls anywhere in the world.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 14:53
Glasgow
Level Contributor
698 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash and cards!

Ifordy thanks i will look into that one! Might be a better option....

Billchesters thanks, i work for HBOS lol so i know about the clarity card, while they dont charge for the cash advance fee, the interest is still applied from the day of withdrawal at the cash advance rate, which would probably work out the same as withdrawing from a debit card. There is no interest free period for cash advances unfortunately or it would be a definate for us!

wales
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash and cards!

hi, why arent people to keen on travelers cheques, i used them last year no problem, took some cash as well, didnt need to use my cash card, i would like to hear any oppinions on the cheques, thanks.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash and cards!

I find travellers cheques to be a bit of a pain. You have to go into a bank (you do here anyway) to get them, pay a fee to buy them and then carry them around. Nothing wrong with them at all but I find using a card much simpler :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash and cards!

I used Travellers Cheques in Phuket 2 years ago and had no problems with them. The fee you pay to your bank when you buy them is roughly the same as what you would pay for one ATM withdrawal isn't it? The rate you get from the Thai money changing desk is better that the rate you get from your bank (again, I might be wrong) and personally I'm not a massive fan of sticking my cards into machines when I'm overseas in case they get scammed. I've heard scare stories about tourists innocently using cash machines and then being arrested and accused of tampering with them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash and cards!

I used Travellers Cheques in Phuket 2 years ago and had no problems with them. The fee you pay to your bank when you buy them is roughly the same as what you would pay for one ATM withdrawal isn't it? The rate you get from the Thai money changing desk is better that the rate you get from your bank (again, I might be wrong) and personally I'm not a massive fan of sticking my cards into machines when I'm overseas in case they get scammed. I've heard scare stories about tourists innocently using cash machines and then being arrested and accused of tampering with them.