We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused...Confused???

Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Confused...Confused???

Hi Fellow Trip Advisorees

We would like to visit Koh Samui in April 2012. After much researching on TA I am still confused. Q1) What ares and which resort to stay in? We are two adults and 3 boys aged 10, 12 & 13. We would like a 5* resort but would still like to be close to town so we can enjoy the local restaurants. We dont want to be locked up in a fancy resort away from the local scene. Bophut and Chaweng seem to be the key areas? Is this right? Then which would be the nicest resorts considering we have kids? Thanks for you help in advance.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused...Confused???

Hi,

We stayed at four seasons recently, which would fit the bill of a five star, My daughter loved the welcoming amenities she received and the kid's club activities. There was also a good children's menu Available. Having our own plunge pool in the Villa was a highlight. However the hotel is isolated and requires a taxi ride to get to anything else.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused...Confused???

All the best 5 star hotels in Samui are in slightly more remote locations - because the best, unspoilt areas with the views to match are not in areas such as Chaweng. However, Koh Samui is such a small island that even the so called "isolated" hotels are no more than a ten minute ride away from the main resorts. Six senses and Tongsai Bay for example are 5 minutes to Choeng Mong and 10 minutes to both bhoput and Chaweng.

If I had kids your age I'd opt for Bhoput rather than Chaweng but that's a personal choice. For me, its more laid back and upmarket than Chaweng, still with plenty of places to eat out and have a drink but with a charm that's long since disappeared in Chaweng. However, if you want wall to wall shops and bars, a very very lively area with lots of noise (and smells) and familiar westernised places to eat (Pizza Hut, McDonalds etc) then opt for Chaweng. If you do opt for Chaweng then stay as far south or north as possible as the centres very very noisy at night.

For what its worth the best 5 stars are Tongsai Bay, Six Senses, Banyon Tree, Napsai and Four seasons. All however, not really a short stroll away from the main strip. The others are the Library and W but I'm not sure how suitable they would be for kids.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,968 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused...Confused???

Hi

Have a look at Centara Grand, at the south end of Chaweng, kind of fits the bill and a short walk to just about anything!

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,399 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused...Confused???

Look at the hotels located at the southern part of Chaweng beach and decide for yourself which one you like.

There you are within walking distance to practically everything.

PS: Make the Island Safari trip (there are severeal company offering this) but simply start your google search with "Island Safari Mr. Ung" and you should get the idea. I am sure your kids will love it.

And If you want to stun them big time then arrange a half or full day at "TopCats".

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused...Confused???

In Samui every area has local restaurants, so you can always enjoy them. Which town do you wanna be close to? Chaweng? The restaurants are not the best there anyway...the choice is big, but quality is not amazing. Bophut is much better for eating out, even Choengmon and Maenam are better IMHO. Have a look at hotels such as Hansar, Anantara, Bandara, Sala Samui, Tongsai Bay, Centara Grand, Amari Palm Reef, Santiburi. They are all lovely, in great locations and have plenty of places to eat out around them.

Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused...Confused???

Thank you all for your responses.

7. Re: Confused...Confused???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 03:16