We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Rescue Centre

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Dog Rescue Centre

I am currently in Koh Samui on my honeymoon and I just wanted to say that we stopped by the dog rescue place in Chaweng and we were very impressed. The man there went out of his way to tell us everything they are doing to help the dogs and cats on the island. They neuter and spay at least 6 dogs a day! Very impressive. They also said that if you see a dog or cat in distress, you can call them and they will come and pick it up.

I just thought I would mention it incase anyone else is interested.

http://www.samuidog.org/

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

Glad you stopped by. We visited last year and went to both the centres in Chaweng and Ban Taling Ngam. It is great to see the centre doing such wonderful things for the animals of Samui - when I was in Samui in 1994 there was a terrible problem with stray dogs on the island, but things have certainly improved since the centre opened.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
124 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

I recently adopted a cat and he is adorable, always follow me when I walk or do something in home. Cats & dogs in the Rescue centre can be very lovely and friendly when you do really care them. It is nice to know that you also stopped by to visit them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

hi.. congratulations...........just saw ur comment on the dog shelter.... i am living in koh samui for 6 months well 5 months now... i have seen the dog rescue centre on there ans would like to help with giving my time... there is only so much beach u can stand after a while.... but i have discovered that i would need a thai visa type o before i can legally volunteer, this i was unaware of because the information on the dog rescue page does not tell u this... therefore if i am found to be working without a visa i would be arrested and deported which seems rather harsh..

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

Lots of tourists help in the centre all the time, they do not have visas. Please contact the centre directly to find out how you can help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

i know but is it worth being caught out... i love animals, annd had i known i could have organised one...

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

As I said, see what Brigette/Birgitte says at the centre, she will help you know whether it is a problem or not.

austria
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

I visited the Dog and Cat Rescue Center too, I was impressed. I recommend going there if you love dogs. You can help there, work there or just pet the dogs, they love to get pet. Staff is so very friendly. Make a donation, small or lage, they need it and will be very thankful!

hants
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

i visited the dogs at Bridgets house 6 years ago and took things over like towels, worming tablets, toys, etc. I wish I could of taken all of them home. I am so glad the dogs have someone over there to look after and care for them and its nice to know if you see a dog in distress that you have a number to phone. I went 16 years ago and I did see alot of poor dogs. So we should all send donations to help them and keep our eyes open when on holiday there to help any stray dogs that need help.

I couldnt believe I read on the trip advisor Centura Villas from a English person calling people stupid because they were patting and feeding stray dogs. They said they didnt like dogs and tried to get the staff to get them off the beach. I replied and said that I will be one of those stupid people feeding the stray dogs and loving them and they were there before them. I was quite surprised that it was from an English person

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

I visited the rescue centre about two years ago and I'm so pleased that other tourists express an interest in it. It's the only animal rescue centre as far as I'm aware and they need all the support they can get.

Well done to everybody that makes the effort!

newquay
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog Rescue Centre

We have just visited the dog rescue centre at chaweng koh samui.

It's nice that people have somewhere to go when they are in a foreign country and need help regarding animals.

However our visit was not so pleasant. We have been adopted by a stray dog and it won't eat and drink and it won't leave us. We went to the rescue centre without the dog to ask for advice. We could not believe the abrupt manner we were greeted with. We tried to explain our plight to the two German owners. They were arrogant and rude and practically pushed us out of the building without offering any advice at all. Maybe they are good with dogs but the people skills they demonstrated with us were poor to say the least. We will now do our best to look after this dog until we finish our holiday after that we don't know. As regards the dog rescue never again. Steve England