We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

South Australia
Level Contributor
352 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

Hi everyone,

We are planning a trip to Thailand next year, and at this stage looking at a week in Koh Samui and a week in Koh Phangan. We are a couple with two young girls, aged 7 and 10.

I'm so confused with where to stay on Koh Samui. Our first priority is a good beach, and we would also like somewhere with local restaurants within walking distance. We don't like large resorts and would prefer a resort that makes us feel like we are in Thailand. My husband and I have been to Koh Samui but that was about 10 years ago so I imagine alot has changed. We stayed on the northern end of Chaweng when we went but I remember the beach down south was much nicer. After checking out the reviews on TA I've narrowed it down to Tongsai Bay Cottages but I'm worried that might be a bit isolated? Amari Palm Reef looks lovely but wrong end of Chaweng? The other resort I quite fancied was Bophut Resort & Spa but many reviews say the beach isn't very nice for swimming. Centara Grand also looks nice but I think may be too large and busy for what we are after. HELP!!!

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Kate

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

Have you considered Banana Fan Sea Resort or Poppies. I believe both have good beaches and may suit your requirements. I know Banana Fan Sea is on a great part of the beach at Chaweng , and is very close to the shops and restaurants. I think Poppies is also on a nice part of South Chaweng and reasonably close to the restaurants etc too.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

Hi Kate

Check out this location map for Centara Grand which also shows hotels nearby. If you are looking south, anything to the bottom of the map would be in a great position for you. http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/central/

Poppies & Chaweng Cove Resotel (the family poolside room would be ideal for you with the kids) are both smaller more Thai style places. Samui Paradise is lovely and is right at the southern tip of Chaweng so is out of the way, lovely beach but still close enough to walk to restaurants etc. All are in the best part of Chaweng in my opinion. Buri Rasa and Banana Fan Sea are a bit further north from Centara but are both worth a look.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 06:39
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

Poppies might fit the bill, lovely place!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

We stayed at both Poppies and Centara, they're next door to each other so the beach location is the same but with 2 children I would go with the Centara.

South Australia
Level Contributor
352 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help, I now need to do a bit more research. Banana Fan Sea looks lovely. It seems everyone has favoured south Chaweng, just wondering if I should still consider Bophut? Is the beach there okay for swimming?

Thanks again, its all very exciting! cheers, Kate

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

Hi there

i am highly recommended Centara grand even though its big but they have so many choices for your children itf they re tried of swimming in the ocean or in the pool. centara grand offers facilities such as badminton, soccer and little golf and a lots of room for them to run around. we went to have a look banana fan sea and i didnt like that you have to walk down the steps in to the beach centara, poppies and samui paradise you just walk right to the beach. IMHO south chaweng beach is much better than bophut .

cheers,

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

No regret with centara grand beach resort!

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
180 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

We have stayed at Banana Fan twice recently and it is great. Very well situated for anything, the beach in front of the hotel is nice and just a good place to stay all round. The layout is good as you stay in bungalows so it is quite private and we loved the place.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,116 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

South Chaweng sounds like it might suit you well and Poppies and Banana Sea Fan have already been suggested.

Choeng Mon is another lovely beach area, much quieter than Chaweng but a gorgeous, crescent shaped beach and beautiful clear waters, a good choice of accommodation, a few restaurants and bars.

South Australia
Level Contributor
352 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay - help I'm so confused!!!!

Thanks everyone, all your advice is fantastic. I love the look of Poppies, and the price fits into our budget too.

We are also keen on Tongsai Bay Cottages now trying to decide between a week at Poppies and a week at Tongsai Bay, OR a week at Poppies and a week at Santhiya on Koh Phangan.

My biggest problem now is having to wait until we can get there!

thanks again, Kate