We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

London
Level Contributor
278 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

Hi guys,

So I'm sitting here thinking about the cheapest way (by plane only) to do Bangkok and Koh Samui in one visit.

We're going for 14 nights and ideally want to do 3 nights in the beginning in Bangkok and 11 nights in Koh Samui.

I can see 2 ways of doing this:

1) Book return flights direct to Koh Samui and then as soon as you land, fly to Bangkok, returning to KS in 3 days.

2) Fly to Bangkok, stay for 3 nights, then continue onward to KS, stay for 11 nights, then back home, via Bangkok..

What do you think would be cheapest/easiest to arrange?

Cheers,

NK

London
Level Contributor
331 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

Either - thai airways currently have a sale on so you could book it all on one ticket for around £600 (depending on when you want to travel).

You can't fly direct to Samui from the UK - you have to go via Bangkok where you will change planes. So it may be easiest to fly to BKK, stay 3 days, fly down to KS and then have your flights booked so you go straight through to London i.e. you change planes at BKK but your luggage is transferred from plane to plane.

Both ways are easy i.e. stop in bkk at start or end.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

As above you'll be flying into BKK anyway not direct to Samui. Stay 2 nights in Bangkok rather than straight to Samui. Head to Samui, then spend your last night in Bangkok before heading home. Thats what I would do

Book your domestic flights down to Samui early to get the cheapest web rates http://www.bangkokair.com/en/index.php

Regards

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

fly to Surat-Thani from bangkok then bus to the Koh samui much cheaper, we are flying from Surat-Thani to bangkok and saving £140 with air Asia bangkok airways works out a lot more.

p.s it will add 3 to 4 hour on to your trip

Edited: 22 December 2011, 16:22
Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

To the above post... It will add closer to a half day to your trip going via Surat Thani, once there you will have to wait for a bus to Don Sak, then an hour later when yo get to Don Sak a further wait for a ferry, then 1.5 hrs on the ferry to Nathon, then if staying at Chaweng a further 40 mins in a cab.

Book your flight with Thai Air to Koh Samui, as mentioned you will have to land in Bangkok first so you can stay your first few days there, then the second part of your flight with Thai Air to Samui. Thai have deals on at the moment which includes the international leg and basically the second leg to Samui for free. If you can't find it on line go with flight centre. I just booked Aus - Bangkok - Samui return for $800 with flight centre. It works from the UK too.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

"p.s it will add 3 to 4 hour on to your trip"

When you take into account all the waiting around and collecting baggage etc, 1.5hrs on coach to don sak, 2hrs on the ferry, in reality it will take a lot longer. If you don't mind the extra time it will take, another option could be the Nok Air combo ticket (flight/coach/catamaran) which takes 5hrs and is cheaper than direct flights to Samui from BKK

I would book your domestic flights down to Samui with Bangkok Airways as early as possible to get the best on-line price. You'll have to fly into BKK not direct to Samui so I would spend first two nights in Bangkok then head to Samui, then have another night back in Bangkok before heading home

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,952 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

You could also do the overnight train from Bangkok to Surat Thani which arrives in ST early morning and then you get a bus/ferry connection getting you in to Samui by late morning/lunch time - travelling by train is one of my favourite ways of travelling in Thailand, you get a comfy bed to sleep in, fed and watered and arrive refreshed in the morning.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

Pathologic i have done it we went from bangkok to Surat Thani,and only took us a hour to the ferry and then an hour and a 1/2 on the ferry to koh samui 1/2 a day that is bad plaining.plus flying from bangkok to koh samui is not the cheapest way of doing the it.which is what they asked by plane,as they is many ways of getting here cheaper but they what to fly

p.s doing it again in jan just the other way and back again i we saved 100's

Edited: 24 December 2011, 07:07
Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

Actually there asking the cheapest way to do Bangkok and Samui... ie: from the UK, not Bangkok to Samui only. So as I said the cheapest way is the Thai Air international flight with the FREE connecting flight to Samui(which can be taken after their 3 days in Bkk). Flight centre have the details.

Doingok37: I travel twice yearly to Samui for the past 11 years and have done it when flights were not an option. It has never taken less than half a day as you have to factor in the whole travel experience which includes: Bangkok city to airport - flight to ST - bus to Don Sak - Ferry - Taxi to hotel. Not including waiting time. So if you read the OPs question you will see that the cheapest and by far the quickest method is the international package deal. But they should hurry as flights are limited and won't last.

Merry Christmas

9. Re: Cheapest way to do Bangkok and Koh Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2012, 10:15