We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kindle book reader

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Kindle book reader

Hi. If anyone is in or going to Samui / Changi Airport in Singapore, please price the basic Kindle E-book reader as we are going to buy two, but hopefully we can get them there much cheaper than in SA. Thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,812 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kindle book reader

Doubt whether you will get one in Samui. Don't know about Changi. How much are they in SA?

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kindle book reader

Hi. R1500.00 each, and the Rand to GBP = R 12.4 approximately.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,812 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kindle book reader

That makes it about £120 and is presumably the new Kindle without a keyboard which is £89 here in UK or $79 (£50) in US.? Can you not order off the Kindle.com US site at $US price and have it delivered to US.

According to this site …hubpages.com/hub/Buy-Kindle-In-Singapore-Fr… Amazon says ""Unfortunately, we are currently unable to ship Kindles or offer Kindle content in Singapore." and thev workaround offered is to get someone to order in US and ship to Singapore.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kindle book reader

We have a bit of a problem in South Africa as some distributors are bound by "agreements" (greedy) and may not ship certain items to us. The best price I can find is R 1500.00. Unfortunately we are not going in to Bangkok this year, but we are stopping over in Phuket for about 7 hours, but I have not seen any good electronics at the airport there. I have a mate in the States so I will see if he can help. Thanks.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kindle book reader

I mailed Sprint-Cass at Changi airport and they offer the Kindle Fire for 399 Singapore Dollars.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,812 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kindle book reader

So the equivalent of $US 320 (R2468) compared to $US 199 on Amazon.com which seems to indicate that if the basic Kindle is available it will not be cheap.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kindle book reader

Yes, maybe I should just wait a bit and wait for the price to drop.

8. Re: Kindle book reader

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 10:23