We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

My wife and I are traveling to Koh Samui for our honeymoon in mid march. We are in Samui for 6 nights. Are there certain activities or places we must go while there. I have heard about the marine park and koh tao for diving. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Countdown begins

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

We are also honeymooning there this year. We don't really have any 'must dos' but quite a few 'Would Like To Dos'...

Our 'Would Lie To Dos' are:

- Angthong

- Koh Tao

- 1 day each at Lamai, Bophut (Wat Plai Laem, Big Buddha, Fishermans Village) and Chaweng beaches including massage on beach and at least one candlelit meal on the beach.

- Wat Khunaram

- Tamarind Spring Forest Spa

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

Here's a thread you both might find useful.

tripadvisor.com/…18139194

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

We're here now and a couple of days ago hired a car and had a drive round the island. There are some beautiful spots and lovely temples to see and was a really fun day, and we didn't get too lost either! My boyfriend found the driving fine during the day. Wat Plai Laem as mentioned above was beautiful. We also found another beautiful spot with great views down near Laem sor, I'm no sure the name of it as we just stumbled upon it but I can try and google to see if I an match some pics to where we were. It was up a big hill. We stayed on Koh Tao for several nights and did snorkelling and saw the black tipped reef sharks which wa ace, and shark bay itself was a lovely beach. We hired a long tail boat for the day to take us round the island, although you'd prob only want to do that if u were staying there a night or two.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

Nice update Joebella -

Glad Koh Tao was nice, seems to be getting a lot more popular now.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 03:43
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

Thanks Monica. I'll do a proper report when we're back.

Yes we we'r quite surprised by how busy Koh Tao was! I think we were expecting something a bit different and quieter! Although was quite nice being in the beach bars in the evening with a few cocktails and amongst the hustle and bustle! Am loving Koh Samui, just sat today is our last full day and we have to go back to snow at home tomorrow!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

I agree with the poster who reccommends hiring a car and just ambling round the island and getting off the main ring road. That's where you'll often stumble on the things most worth seeing. Try to get up into the mountains if you can as there are some stunning views up there. The marine parks well worth a visit too. For a different view of Samui why not try hiring a long tail boat for the day and go around the island stopping off at different beaches for food/drinks. That way you get to see all the hidden nooks and crannies that you might miss while out driving - unless you know the island inside out.Will also give you some stunning photos from an angle you'd miss by car.

I would also try at least one full body massage and/or a foot massage while you're there. Definitely try a cooking class and visit some of the local markets. Fisherman's village has a fantastic night market on Friday night which is great to walk from top to bottom trying the street food and there's live music and dancers by the pier. Very touristy but great fun. For a complete contrast I would stop off at Nanthon and visit the local markets and try some of the street food there. Its the most authentic on the island but if you're not used to it may blow your head off - very spicy.

I would avoid everything on Samui that includes animals. The animals are kept in appauling conditions and those that offer photos with the animals usually drug them up to the eyballs to keep them docile. If you're offered tours that include animal venues Ibefore you part with your money I would recommend you look at the things to do section of this page as many people have left reviews saying how bad these places are and wish they'd been warned beforehand.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

Hi

I'm highly recommend hire a car for day or two as twiggyrex says get off the ring road you will get to see more and you can do it your own pace. It's easy to navigate the road in koh Samui also the signage are both English and Thai. I agree with food in Nathon if you want to sampling the southen style cuisine this is the place. Try chicken with saffron rice( kho mok Kai) is very nice and not spicy.

Have a great trip/ honey moon

8. Re: Absolute Must Do/See in Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 16:22