We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beaches

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beaches

I have not been to Ko Samui before. We are a couple in 50's looking for quiet chill out holiday for 9 days away from hustle and bustle but still near enough to nice restaurants and good food.

Our one requirement is a nice white sandy beach with water that we can swim in!! Is this possible on Ko Samui?

Also nice resort?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beaches

Hi

South chaweng beach fits in your descriptions. My husband lived there over 4 years and myself over 2 years in mid 90s and we only go to south beach for swimming. White soft sand beach clear water good for swimming away from hustle and bustle but close enough to bars restaurants shops. You can either walk along the beach there are many restaurants pop up table amd chairs on the beach in the evening or just walk along the main chaweng beach road.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beaches

Thanks sweetpea for your advice - sounds great to us!!

Any suggestions re very nice resorts along this beach?

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beaches

I love Sourh Chaweng too but I would also suggest that Choeng Mon would suit you. Beautiful white sandy beach, a number of restaurants etc and very quiet.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beaches

You didn't mentions budget and time of traveling. But have a look at these places just to get some idea.

Samui paradise beach resort

Poppies beach resort

Buri rasa Resort

Also next to south chaweng beach is chaweng noi beach very quite with a few places to eat and drinks.

New star villas

Impiana beach resort

Hope this help

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beaches

Oh sorry - We travelling in May this year - and I like to stay 5 star accomm - so will look at some you mentioned - thanks

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beaches

I would also add a vote for Choeng Mon beach. Its lovely white sand and clean water that's perfect for swimming. There are a good selection of restaurants beachside and in the High Street and its only 10 minutes by cab to both Chaweng and Bhoput if you fancied a busier night out. It still retains a thai village feel that was lost years ago in Chaweng.

South Chaweng also has a good beach and is a lot closer to shops and restaurants and has the white sand you're after. The trade off is that its a lot busier than Choeng Mon and at certain times of the year, the tide conditions reduce that beach to a narrow strip and the sea conditions can be quite dangerous. I would PM some of the TA experts to find out when that's most likely to happen if the beach and sea swimming is important to you. Elina and fleetcat are probably the bets people to ask.

There are no decent 5 star hotels in Chaweng - all of the good 5 star hotels in Samui are located in slightly more remote areas (for good reason) but even then, they're never more than 10 minutes taxi ride away from Chaweng and Bhoput (the main resort areas). The nearest to that description in Chaweng would be the library but that's a stark modern hotel that's more geared up to younger guests that like noisy music played poolside every day. I personally would never choose to stay there and I'm younger than you. None of the hotels mentioned in previous posts are 5 star hotels. Poppies is about the best hotel in South Chaweng but its not a 5 star hotel, more of a small bungalow type boutique hotel. It gets good reviews though.

In Choeng Mon there are two really good hotels. Sala Samui is situated right on Choeng Mon beach and Tongsai Bay which is 10-15 minutes walk from Choeng mon. Both are 10 minutes by cab to both Bhoput and Chaweng.

Other good 5 star hotels include Napasai (Mae nem area), Six senses (next bay along from Tongsai Bay), Banyan Tree and Four seasons. None of them are in Chaweng and all are in slightly more remote locations but all are within 10 minutes drive from either Bhoput or Chaweng.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 09:35
England
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beaches

I would also like to suggest Choeng Mon Beach as a perfect location for your holiday and apart from the lovely 5 Star Sala Samui http://www.salaresorts.com/samui/ there is also the Muang Samui Villas & Suites http://www.muangsamui.com/choengmon/ on the same stretch of white sand beach.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beaches

My vote is also goes for Choengmon. Cleaner, quieter and more beautiful.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
62 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beaches

Hi,

I have taken a lot of time in researching a nice hotel in koh samui . My husband and I are late 40s early 50s so we wanted somewhere we can be in touch with an area so not depending on taxis but at the same time not too busy and have booked into the (peace resort bophut ). It has some fabulous comments.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,365 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beaches

Another vote for Choeng Mon.