We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

wales
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

Looking to go to Koh Samui late this year approx Oct/Nov and have a few questions please. I have been to Bangkok and Phuket previously and absolutley love Thailand its culture, people theThai cuisine.

We are mid 30s and are wondering if Koh Samui will be to quiet compared to Phuket as we like livley nights out?

What would be the best location here given the above and that we love a nice beach and room sea views?

Is there enough to do for a 11 day stay as the island seems quite small. Phuket had lots to do both day & night with lots of different trips etc.

Was thinking of Sigapore for a few nights and then KS for the rest of the two weeks and want to be sure this place has enough to do and will not be too quiet for our stay.

What would the weather honestly be like in Oct/Nov?

Any links to good websites and any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

Hi

Firstly Oct- Nov the weather in koh Samui are not the best. You will be in the middle of raining season opposed to west cost ( Phuket side). How ever no one can predict the weather some year you will more rain than the others. Check the links on the FAQ.

Things to do : it's a lots of things to do but if you're compared to phuket koh Samui still relatively low keys more of laid back. You can do island hoping, island exploring and the usual water activity.

Lively and nice beach and sea views. I am highly recommend south chaweng beach. Plenty of resort in this area to choose from. They are beach front away from hustle and bustle but easy walk to bars and restaurants either along the beach or on the main chaweng beach road. and for big party just head to Chaweng central ( soi green mango is the hub of all clubs and bars).

We loved it there it just the right mixed of everything. Hope you find this help.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

I think it really depends on what you like doing on holidays. For me, I lead a very busy life and on holidays I just like to relax, read books by the pool/on the beach, eat great food, drink cocktails, get massages etc - you get the idea. Very lazy LOL. Koh Samui is perfect for this. There is still a bit to do but nothing compared to Phuket. You could take a couple of day trips either to Koh Tao or Ang Thong Marine Park (although the seas might be getting a bit rough then), explore the island by hiring a car and stopping at little out of the way places, there are plenty of places to eat and drink and lively bars etc.

I also would recommend the south Chaweng are so that you are away from the immediate vicinity of the really busy part of the street but close enough to walk or get a songtheow to the lively parts.

I agree with Pea though that November is quite risky weather wise. At this time of year, it is much better weather on the Phuket side of Thailand.

I have had 3 trips where I spent nearly 4 weeks on KS and it is never enough time for me! Wouldn't suit everyone though :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

Probably the worst months you could pick to go to Samui unfortunately.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,601 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

As stated, October and November are right in the middle of monsoon season and apart from the likely chance of rain you will also likely get rough seas sometimes stopping you from even going to the beach or doing an sea based tours, which dramatically cuts down the thing's to do list in Samui. October isn't much better on the west coast either as it still has a lot of rainfall then.

Why not think about heading north to the Chiang Mai area instead as there's plenty to do in that area, no beaches I know but plenty of nice accommodation with lovely swimming pools : )

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,444 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

Hi

If you really want to go then, I would split my time, then you get to see all aspects. You could also head to Koh Phangan for a few days. Spread it about it a bit.

There is not so much to do as Phuket, but Samui does have a very different feel to the place.

We normally stay in South Chaweng, as it gives us the beach, the things and the quiet . . . but, my, you will have the weather!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

Problem is the weather, not good in October but if you do decide to go split it between 2 places.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

I am not sure how splitting your time between KP and KS will help? The weather will be the same in both places.

Probably better off on the West side at that time of year

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,601 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

I think the suggestion of splitting time between the two islands was to allow for the fact that there is less to do in Samui than in Phuket, so visiting two islands would make for more things to do rather than changing the weather.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,008 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

Ignoring the weather in Oct/Nov your itinerary could be something like this:

Day1: Arrive, check-in and relax

Day2: Lazy at the pool and beach

Day3: Full day Island Safari

Day4: Snorkeling trip to Koh Nang Yuan

Day5: Another beach day

Day6: Explore the island by taxi or with your own transport

Day7: Day trip to Ang Thong Marine Park

Day8: A round of golf, a tree-top cable ride, an ATV tour or half day fishing at Top Cats Fishing Resort

Day9: It’s about time to do all the shopping

Day10: Recover from shopping and treat yourself to a nice package at one of the spas. E.g. Tamarind Spring

Day11: Upps, time to pack up already.

As for location check out the southern part of Chaweng.

wales
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Samui, Too Quiet and Not enough to do for two weeks????

Overwelmed with the responses and local knowledge of the area.. Many Thanks peeps.

A few more questions If I may~

Looks like Oct/Nov is a no go, but could poss look at late Aug or Sept ~ whould this be lovely weather? apprecaite its tropical.

Can you fly straight to KS or must you go to Bangkok or Singapore to get a connecting flight?

Is a stop in Signapore and then on to KS popular and recommended? I think this is just over an hour isnt it?

If we stayed in South Chaweng as recommended how long would it take to walk to the lively nightlife? could we walk to any other places mentioned?

How much do you think it would cost for a two week stay in a nice beachfront 4star resort South Chaweng with approx 2 night stay in Singapore. Dont think I would like to book it all seperate just incase we didnt get back to the airport on time and missed our flight home.

Any recommended Hotels in the above location very welcome.

Many Thanks again for this great source of info.

Where would we be without Trip Advisor---I love it, Cheers all