We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

wales
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

Any recommendations for the subject or a taxi ride away.

We love the Thai food and want to try and make sure we dont miss any real Gems.

Thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,670 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

Hi

IMO the nicest, and best, if a tad expensive thai restaurant is Poppies. A 5 min walk along the road left out of the Centara Grand.

If you want cheap then turn right and 115mins walk to opposite the Buri Rasa is Ninjas - nothing flashy but fabulous food and so cheap.

they are our favorites.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

Another vote for Poppies!!

You are also a short walk from Spirit House which is expensive but good food in a beautiful setting.

The food at Baitong (just down the beach at Banana Fan Sea resort ) is also good, not as expensive as the other two but a very nice place too.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

Another cheap and cheerful within close walking distance is Little Boat Seafood. When coming out of your hotel, turn left on the road and it is on the opposite side. Very basic decor (think cheap cafe style) but tasty and very cheap. Great for a quick lunch.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

Hi

Another vote for poppies for dinner. Turn right if you choose to walk down from the beach. Quick Thai lunch at Baitong at banana fan sea resort is also nice turn left left on the beach from centara grand.

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

I`ll agree with Allie..Ive had many many meals at the Little Boat & never been disappointed..Its not a restaurant that is going to blow your mind but as Allie describes tasty & cheap and for me the beer was always cold which is a big plus in my books.

wales
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

Some good tips on eateries thanks, my list is building fast already :-)

I notice people are referring to both cheap and expensive places and therefore wondered, what Sort of average cost are we talking for two people to eat for the following:~

1. Cheap lunch?

2. Expensive lunch?

3. Cheap evening meal?

4. expensive evening meal?

We love the standard Thai Red curries, Pad Thai noodles et,c and are keen to expand our favourite dishes. Any other recommendations for Thai dishes try?

Cheers all

London, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

I ate at both Poppies and Spirit house, Spirit house is great atmosphere but prefered the food at Poppies.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

I guess what is cheap to one person is expensive to another! There were 3 of us and generally our lunches were around the 600B - you can get great fried rice or noodles with chicken for around 100B at restaurants on the street. We found that we had a good buffet breakfast so weren't after anything too filling for lunch.

Dinners ranged from 600B for 3 (Ninjas, very cheap but very tasty) to 3000B.At fancier hotel type restaurants you could go way higher. We didn't tend to go anywhere too high end as we found that our more expensive dinners were not much better than the cheaper ones. If you are drinking wine, expect the bill to rise much higher as it is very expensive in Thailand.

As to expanding your range of dishes, maybe try to order one dish different each night. That way you will still be able to have your faves but try new things too. Generally the food isn't expensive so you aren't wasting money if you don't like it. Funnily, we didn't find a green curry that we liked the whole time we were there (nor on previous trips) - expensive or cheap LOL. We gave up in the end. Definitley something to try if you like seafood is a deepfried whole fish, the serve it with a spicy type sauce and it is a favourite of our. Make sure you pick the bones, some of the best meat and crispy parts are on them.

Oh and don't be afraid of street food. Very cheap and delicious. Make sure you try the corn, som tam and chicken that the beach vendors sell.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 14:05
Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

There used to be a lady selling absolutely delicious Banana Pancakes of an evening by the side of the road around the southern end of Chaweng.Anybody know if this lady still plies her trade these days???.My wife used to make a beeline for her after dinner most nights.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 23:07
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nicest Thai Restraurants Near Centara Grand?

She was still there 18 months ago Jamie so hopefully she is still there. They were divine :)