We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

Columbia, Missouri
9 posts
Save Topic
I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

My soon-to-be wife and I will be spending just over 4 days in Koh Samui traveling through Bangkok and I have a couple questions that I would GREATLY welcome some advice on. Feel free to comment on any or all of the questions. You input is sincerely appreciated. We will be in Thailand in June.

1 ) What are some preferred beaches to visit for honeymooners

2) We are looking for modestly priced ($200-$400 USD) hotel/resort accommodations with a private pool, view of the water, and ideal location. Any suggestions?

3) We were planning on visiting Koh Phangan for one of the fullmoon parties. Should we plan on staying on Koh Phangan or should we plan to journey back (probably will be a little intoxicated)? Is It safe enough to try to camp out on a beach?

3) What are some of the must things to do/see while visiting Koh Samui, or even Thailand, for the first time with limited time (we consider our selves as travels more than tourists)?

4) I was thinking about open water Kayaking to try to get to secluded isolated beaches to spend some alone time. Is that practical? If so any specific recommendations?

5) Any romantic specific recommendations for young honeymooners?

Thank you sooo much and I appreciate any input in advance.

Kevin

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

Just answered your other questions in Bangkok Forum.

1. Choeng Mon has some lovely accommodation and is a bit quieter than some of the other places.

2. Sorry, can't help.

3. During the FMP most accommodation on Koh Phangan has a 5 night minimum stay requirement, but if you stay on Koh Samui there are plenty of boats going back and forth all night to the party - do not camp out on the beach!

4. You can kayak on any of the east coast islands, but most of the beaches these days are not secluded.

Enjoy

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

Hi

I thought these suppose to be honey moon. By all mean I'm not being sarcasm here just curious. As I don't think full moon party fits in with honey moon. Beside even you want to stay over most places will impose 3-5 nights minimum stay during full moon party periods.

Agree with Cass about cheong mon beach beautiful and quiet. With your budget have a look at Sala Samui or tongsai bay ( got very good rave from members)

If you're looking for secluded beaches maybe have a look at property that on secluded beach instead. but most cases secluded = remote. It's mean you will need transport at all time unless you're happy to eat at resort.

Another beach to look at is Chaweng noi beach. The beach here is beautiful white soft sand. There are only few resorts and few of everything. There's New star resort/villas ( ocean front villas & pool villas) or Sarann pool villas.

Things to do and see perhaps have a look at forum page there are plenty of suggestions.

But the top of my must do things list is "Day spa treatments"

Hope this help a bit.

Happy honeymoon:-)

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

I agree with previous posters that you would be asking for trouble camping out at the full moon party if you're drunk/drugged up. Dozens of people every month get robbed/mugged and worse at the full moon party so best not to risk it and get a boat back from the party.

In terms of where to stay, Sala and Tongsai are both excellent honeymoon hotels but you won't get a pool villa in either hotel for 400 USD. You'll get an excellent cotttage at tongsai but their pool villas will be out of budget.

You don't say what kind of area you want to stay in but if you want a quieter beach with a few dozens or so bars and restaurants then Sala and Tongsai would be ideal. Sala is on Choeng Mon beach which matches that description and Tongsai's in the next bay along and has its own private beach. Tongsai provides Kayaks free of charge and last time we were there hubby Kayaked across to Choeng Mon and round the headland to the next few bays along. While not completely deserted, there only a handful of people on the beaches there. Also, at high tide, there's a small island just off Choeng Mon that you would only be able to get to by kayak.

If you want a much busier area with access to lots of bars, clubs and restaurants, then you should head for North or South Chaweng. None of the hotels in that area are as nice as Sala and Tongsai but I think some of the cheaper hotels in South Chaweng do have pool villas. I've never actually stayed in any of them so someone else would have to help out with accomodation recommendations there.

As for things to do, a couples spa treatment would be top of my list or a private dinner experience (your own personal chef and waiter on the balcony of your villa/cottage.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

For the CHEAPER hotel with private pool are

Buri Rasa

Centara grand beach resort

Samui resotel

These resorts all are in the south chaweng beach. South chaweng beach is one of the best beach in koh Samui away from craziness but easy walk to shops bars and restaurants.

Roseburg, OR
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

When you say cheaper hotels, what kind of money are we talking about in July? I would like to find a nice beachfront hotel in a good location for under $100 USD a night. Recommendations???

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

Hi again hockman

Those 3 resort I mentioned above are all over $ 100

Buri Rasa and Centara grand both are over $ 300 Samui resotel I think around $ 150- $ 300 depends on what room type you're choosing.

south Chaweng if you want best of both world nice quiet yet easy walk to bars and shops restaurants. For under $100 have look at

Chaweng cove resotel

Samui paradise beach resort( depends on room type)

Baan talay resort

First bungalow

They all are beach front and pretty much next to each others.

Columbia, Missouri
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

Thank you everyone for the input. The fullmoon party idea was more of just trying to experience a piece of Thailand culture as opposed to getting extremely smashed. It sounds like heading back to Koh Samui would be a good idea for the evening if we do in fact go to the full moon party. That brings me to another question. Of the following options please provide your opinion on which hotel/resort is the best option keeping in mind that I am looking for a great beach location, private pool/jacuzzi with beach view, beautiful ambiance and relatively close in proximity to activities but still quite. The following options I have "reserved" are

1) Kala Samui

2) Akaryn (but I do not think this has a seaview)

3) Renaissance Koh Samui (sea view but might not have private pool or jacuzzi)

4) Sandlewood (a bit more expensive but seem to be highly recommended)

5) Another choice from approximately 200-400USD per night that I neglected to mention.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
992 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

I am writing this from the balcony of our villa at sandalwood. The resort here is spectacular, however, it is not a beach location. There is a small beach down the hill that the resort transfers you to and from free of charge but you are reliant on either resort transportation or organizing your own.

We are also honeymooning and we are enjoying it here, but if you like to get out and do lots of things you might be better off more central. On the plus side there are private spas in a number of villas and the resort is so small the public pools feel private a lot of the time.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

Hi

1. Kale not directly on the beach is perch on the Clift. The closet beach is Chaweng noi beach. But you will have the best views of the coral cove bay. Situated between chaweng noi beach and Lamai.

2. Sorry can't help

3. Good views as is up in the hill situated between chaweng noi beach and Lamai area.

4. pool villas at New star resort on Chaweng noi fits in with your budget.

What about Melati resort ?

10. Re: I need HELP in Koh Samui for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:16