We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time In Koh Samui

Roseburg, OR
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Time In Koh Samui

We have decided to fly from Phuket to Koh Samui on July 6 due in large part to the improved weather for this time of year. From Koh Samui we will be flying to Chiang Mai. First question, would it be better to spend 7 days in Koh Samui/Koh Tao and 6 days in Chiang Mai or 7 days in Chiang Mai and 6 days in Koh Samui/Ko Tao? How should we break up the days spent on Koh Samui/ Koh Tao between the two islands? What beach resorts/hotels should be on the top of my list without breaking the bank? Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time In Koh Samui

Hi there

Chiang mai 7 days as they more to do ( cultures history temple mountains trekking or you can even go up to chiang RAI for golden triangle).

Between koh Samui and koh Tao you can splits in half or 2 nights in koh Tao and the rest in koh Samui.

If you want quiet then I suggest Chaweng noi beach. The beach are equally beautiful to south chaweng beach but quieter with just a few resorts and few places for meals and drinks.

Imperial beach resort

Impiana beach resort

The fairs house

South chaweng beach you will have more options for meals and drinks within walking distance but still nice and quiet best of both world. If you want night life just use taxi or songtheaw its only take 10-15 mins to central of chaweng. For budget $100 have a look at

Firast bungalow

Chaweng cove resotel

Samui paradise beach resort

Baan talay resort

Plenty more but a lots them are over $100 some cheaper but not worth mentioning.

I did reply your question on ( honeymoon thread) check them out.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time In Koh Samui

Depends what you want from a holiday. Samui really is an eat drink and laze on the beach kind of holiday. There's not a lot to do other than that and water type activites. Its very westernised and there's very little by way of thai culture. However, if you want a lazy, laid back relaxing holiday eating drinking and being merry, then spend more time in Samui.

If you are more active and want to see lots of thai culture, temples, hill tribes and local markets or like hiking river rafting and national parks and more natural settings, then spend more time in Chiang Mai. You could easily spend 6 days on your first vist to Chiang Mai and pack it full of different things to do every day.

Both are lovely spots but very very different.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Time In Koh Samui

No twiggyrex, they are "Same, Same but Different" :))))

Roseburg, OR
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time In Koh Samui

Is 6 days in Koh Samui/Koh Tao too long? If so, I could spend a couple of days exploring Koh Phi-Phi, Krabi, and Railay prior to departing to Koh Samui/Koh Tao. The only problem that I would have with this plan is that the airfare is rather expensive to Koh Samui, so I feel as if I should make the most out of it if we go.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time In Koh Samui

Koh Tao is very different to Koh Samui, great snorkeling also a more relaxed style, beautiful scenery and well worth a few nights during your stay on Koh Samui

Tip: Check the Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass fare, that could save you money, if you are doing more than 3 domestic flights within Thailand can work out well.

Roseburg, OR
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time In Koh Samui

I have already purchased some air tickets for my wife and I. What I would need now would be Phuket to Koh Samui and Koh Samui to Chang Mai. This would equate to 2 tickets for me and two tickets for my wife for 4 total. Would this qualify for the Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass fare or does it need to be 3 domestic flights within Thailand per person?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time In Koh Samui

3 domestics flights per person :-)

8. Re: Time In Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:42