We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Island-Pls advise:)

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The Island-Pls advise:)

Hi all,

My husband and myself are planning to visit the Islands and north Thailand during mid Sept.

I have read that's it's the rainy season..and the best side to visit is in Samui.

I am a bit worried regarding the whether and I would appreciate to hear your opinion. do you think that's better to look for another destination?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,670 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

Weather?

September is when it changes?

The northeast prevailing monsoon wind blows between October and March and affects the East side of Thailand whilst from May to September the southwest prevailing monsoon wind affects the West side. The times of year the wind directions change can, and does vary by weeks. This does mean that out of prevailing monsoon wind that the other side of the country is far less prone to rain / unsettle weather!

The prevailing monsoon wind does not mean it will rain all day or even every day, just that the wind is in such a direction that there is a much higher chance of rain. Having said that, weather in the entire region tends to be unpredictable regardless of the monsoon, it is the tropics! With the prevailing monsoon wind, its luck, you might see nothing and it will be hot and sunny or it might rain a little or a lot. Some areas have a fairly even spread of rain, and others tend to only have rain during the monsoon.

So in September its your call, could be either! I would perhaps be more tempted to do Chiang Mai and Phuket . . .

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

to save typing - here is my reply to the same question posted yesterday or the day before

tripadvisor.com.au/…40882600

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

HI there,

Just wanted to thank you very much for your quick reply.

As far as I understand it's could be a bit rainy but it's not really a factor and not something that should change our plans.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

Our last trip we didn't have any days where we didn't spend hours each day on the beach or by the pool. Lovely and warm, mostly sunny so plenty of hours in the sun if that is what you are looking for :)

Sometimes a heavy rain freshens up the place, especially the drain systems which need a good flush out so they don't smell and it is nice and cooling. We found the pools to be too warm so the rain cooled them down a little (still warm when raining though). You certainly don't need a raincoat - with the heat you would steam yourself LOL.

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

Thanks JustAllie

I just hope it won't be too hot...:)

Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

Samui in september is a much better option than Phuket. I can almost guarantee rain on Phuket in September. We go to Samui every september for the past 12 years and the weather is generally good.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

Temperature is usually around 28-30 during the day and aroun 20-22 overnight. Perfect for you I think :)

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

Thank you all:)

I'll be glad to receive some recommendations regarding quiet ares in Samui, Tao and Pangan.

I am not fancy of mass touristic areas, looking for a quiet and isolated place (wishful thinking:).

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

There aren't that many quiet areas left in Koh Samui. The busiest most developed and westernised area is Chaweng so it sounds like you would want to avoid that area. Next biggest are Bhoput and Lamai but nowhere near as bad as Chaweng.

The area around Choeng Mon is very quiet. So any hotels on Choeng Mon would be fine, Tongsai bay is next bay along (very very thai and tranquil) and next bay along again is four seasons. All tranquil places. The area around Melatai is also quiet. Mae Nem is also less developed than Chaweng.

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Island-Pls advise:)

Hi twiggyrex,

Thank you very much:)

I'll start looking for resorts in the area.